Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

Paulina nodded. "That's all I wanted to know."

A vampire sped into the dining room. Her face paler than normal. Cameron eyes were vampire. "Darklighters approach our territory."

Standing fast, sneering in anguish, Rebekah shouted to her vampires. "Shelter the humans. Make sure my grand nephew is gone and protected."

Everyone else moved to stand. "We can help," Iris snarled.

Her personal servant, Henry rushed in, handing her a katana. He also had one for Mona too.

"Get to safety," Rebekah ordered.

"I can help. I have werewolves a few miles from here," Iris snarled.

"No," Rebekah sneered. She would not let anymore werewolves into her home.

Mona snatched her by the arm. Gritting teeth, she forced Rebekah to look at her. "You can't afford to risk your vampires by pride or hatred." Mona narrowed her eyes, not letting Rebekah make a reckless decision. No matter how well protected she thought her vampires were, it was better to have help than none at all. "You know I give two shits for werewolves other than Kaliska, and I guess, Iris now. But we have to be wise."

"They would not expect my werewolves. And we are not as vulnerable to darklighters," Iris pointed out.

"For once, lets try and work together," Paulina offered.

Sneering, Rebekah called to her vampires. "We will face them outside of our home. I do not want one Darklighter stepping into the Palace." It was an insult for these Darklighters to come and attack her home. Rebekah would redecorate her front yard with their tainted blood.

Mona sliced the sword through the air, getting a fill of it. She looked to her sister with a smile. "Let's kill some darklighters."

*

Maia

They hopped on the motorcycle, Kaliska listening to Maia and slowing her pace. Kaliska could be reckless and leap into danger without a plan. Maia got Sean, Alyssa, and Miles to follow them to one of Kaliska's friends home.

She felt Kaliska's forehead pressed into her shoulder blade afraid for her friends. If they didn't find her friends alive, this would devastate Kaliska. It was easy to get distracted with all Kaliska needed. She had a lot going on , but Maia been meaning to talk to her. New thoughts and wants were beginning to arise in Maia's heart that she needed Kaliska to know and support. It seemed like troubles left no room for personal life.

They pulled up to an apartment building, Kaliska hopping off.

"Stop, Kaliska," Maia snarled. She didn't need her mate getting hurt. She snatched Kaliska hand and yanked her close. "She squeezed her thumb and index over Kaliska's lower jaw, gaining her full attention. Kaliska was already growing pelt, ready to shift. They were in a human establishment. "Control."

Kaliska blinked rapidly, eyes leaving the hybrid glow. She was close to losing her control. Maia lowered her mate back to sanity. "You lead," Kaliska said, knowing she couldn't think rationally.

Stepping in front, Maia buzzed on a button and pressed in the code, Kaliska told her. The glass door opened and they walked inside and headed for the elevator. "Miles. Alyssa. Head up through the stair just in case."

They nodded and rushed off.

Sean pressed the elevator button, stepping in first when it opened. Kaliska and Maia followed in and turned to face the opening. Once the elevator began moving up, Kaliska feet tapped impatiently against the carpet flooring.