Chapter Two

Maia

Maia sensed trouble in her mate. Fortunately, she was headed back home. She knew Kaliska was fine. Being mated to her, there was expectation in Kaliska being scraped up on occasion. There was always attention on her father she sought it out or not.

Making it home, Maia dressed heading back down to the living room. A cup of what looked like blood was left of the living room table. Maia wouldn't classify Kaliska as messing. Only slightly disorganized in her cleaning habits. Maia didn't mind. Having a mate. Having Kaliska be her mate was more than Maia thought possible.

After twenty minutes of cleaning, the front door opened. Stepping out from kitchen, her mate rushed in. Maia caught Kaliska, arms curled around her thighs. Kaliska tangled her body around Maia, having her hold all weight. Kaliska leaned in, hands in her hair as she kissed Maia passionately. Maia could gather what was on her mind.

Maia squeezed her fingers into Kaliska's thighs in response to their mutual needs. Three days had been too long.

Zara cleared her throat.

Maia smiled, lips lingering a few seconds more until they were done. Kaliska planted her feet back to the floor. She cupped Maia's chin. "What happened?"

Kaliska pursed her lips. She could already read into Maia's concern. "Don't worry. I haven't pissed someone else off since you've been gone. Just another one of those memories that came at a bad time."

Maia narrowed her eyes, sneaking a glance to Zara, who was standing with lingering frustration over what Kaliska openly said.

"I told her," Kaliska clarified.

"Good." Maia was happy Kaliska could finally trust Zara enough to be honest.

"I'm headed into a shower. Don't take long." Kaliska's eyes held lust, promising something. "I'll see you around?" Kaliska asked her mother.

Zara smiled. "Of course."

Maia smiled. "A few minutes behind you."

Kaliska moved off, using her unnatural speed. Maia smirked. Thinking of Kaliska naked in their shower, Maia almost groaned. She acknowledged Zara, giving a soft smile. "Is it still awkward for you?"

Frowning, Maia knew Zara didn't want to admit that it would take real adjusting to get pass being mated to her daughter. Her initial response was sincere. Maia knew that. She also knew, Zara wasn't against it. Just seeing it. Seeing Maia kiss her daughter. Her long ago and again best friend holding her daughter could come off a bit weird.

Zara sighed. "I'm sorry. Please don't doubt that I am happy for the both of you. It's my weirdness to get over."

That was true. Maia would never apologize for what she felt for Kaliska. "Trust me. I told myself to stay away from. I didn't know how to feel. What you would think. How she would feel once she knew the truth. That I was much older than I looked and your best friend."

"You don't have to explain yourself."

"This is not me explaining. This is me telling you, how I accepted it all despite my concerns or how it looked." That silenced Zara enough to nod. "I'm glad you aren't against it. That you've been nothing but supportive. But...Kaliska is going to need you to stop staring at us as if we're some weird experimental relationship. It's not the same circumstances. But I'm sure you wouldn't want anyone looking at you and Lucian as if a weird collision of romance. Your love and unique and different. And Kaliska and I love is unique and different. Not to mention...we're both two women. And her being a hybrid."