Chapter Thirteen

Paulina

   "Apparently, this is not the year to be relaxed." When Paulina came to pack territory, Kaliska greeted her at the porch.

   There was a pause, Kaliska scraping mud off her shoe. She looked rattled without her mate. Kaliska looked off to random directions as if hoping to see her mate appear at any moment.

   "Kaliska, honey. Eat something. Your fangs are showing." Paulina kissed Kaliska's cheek. "We will find Mona. And your mate and mother will be back." Stepping into the house, she scanned it for Iris, finding only more wolves. "Simeon. Stay in the house."

   He nodded. "Can I go hang with Jake?"

   She nodded. Walking up the stairs, Paulina headed to Iris room. Her room was two one door down the hall from the stairs. Paulina knocked lightly, the aroma of Iris strong through the door.

   "Come in." Iris voice sang through the door.

   Paulina opened the door, shutting it behind. Iris was sitting in a chair, in front of a mirror at her desk. There was makeup and jewelry organized in containers. She held a eyeliner, grazing it across her eyelid. Her legs were crossed over the other, feet bare. Paulina took in her exquisite appearance and smiled. She caught Iris eyes through the mirror. "May I?"

   There was a hint of a smile that crept at the corner of Iris lips. She bowed her head, twisting her chair to give Paulina a full view.

   Coming up, Paulina looked through her options of jewelry and grabbed a pair of diamond earrings. She held them up. Iris smiled, having Paulina put them on. Paulina praised the glow in Iris cheeks. Iris adored Paulina, taking in her beauty. "What's the occasion for such fine jewelry?"

   Brushing her hand up Iris cheek, Paulina let go of her distressing thoughts. There would always be a reason to be concerned. A threat would always arise, but she needed to start living. The best way a vampire could live. "I love you."

   A wide smile appeared across Iris, happy to hear Paulina say those words so comfortably. "I love you too."

   "Go out with me tonight." Paulina scanned over Iris fine appearance. "You are more than ready."

   "We have so much to deal with tonight."

   "No. We have much to deal with in the next two hours. After, we have a few hours to ourselves." Paulina dug into her coat pocket, holding out a jewelry long rectangle box.

   Iris took it and opened the top. Her eyes widen finding a necklace inside. Iris pulled it out by the silver chain. Iris held it up for closer view, a circular pendant with tiny diamonds shaping a half moon. The diamond moon was gold and circulated around it was sapphire. The pendant was an inch wide and long. A simple piece of art, stated so much for Iris as she became overwhelmed by its elegance. "You didn't have to--"

   "I wanted to." Paulina smiled. "I'm not always one for words but I can show you."

   Leaning in, Iris brushed her lips over Paulina, showing her thanks. "I would love to have dinner with you." Iris pursed her lips.

   "But," Paulina said, seeing where this was going.

   "Zara needs me right now, rather she admits it or not. The pack is under strong orders, regarding safety, and depending on what we learn by the end of this, leaving pack territory right now is a bit risky."

   "That is why, I am bringing our dinner here."

   Iris laughed, the sight lovely. "We do not have the same appetite."