Chapter Forty-Four: Senior Update (April 8, 2013)

Riley was in her Credit Recovery class with her bestie Marilyn when someone knocked on Ms. Hayes's door.

     "Mrs. Schaefer needs to see Riley," some tenth-grade office worker told the teacher.

     Mrs. Schaefer was the twelfth grade counselor; she was described as a strict, no-nonsense woman who was usually feared by the seniors because she always pressured her students to go to college.

     Marilyn looked at Riley. "Girl, what the fuck did you do?" she whispered.

     "Fuck if I know," Riley whispered back, worried as fuck. She still followed the tenth grader because Mrs. Schaefer practically required one to visit her office once one was called.

     The tenth grader, known as Lily Watanabe, looked at Riley and said, "How come Mrs. Schaefer wants to see you?"

     "Fuck if I know," Riley answered irritably, "Why the fuck do you care so much?"

     Lily shrugged. "You know Mrs. Schaefer's only for the twelfth graders."

     Riley rolled her eyes as she walked into Mrs. Schaefer's office. "You said you needed me?"

     Mrs. Schaefer, who had light brown hair in a bob cut and average brown eyes, nodded and guided Riley to a navy blue leather chair right in front of her desk. "I need to talk about your process."

     Riley sat down. Oh great, was she failing the tenth grade again?

     "You're failing the tenth grade again."

     Called it.

     "I can either sign you up for summer school, or you can request to drop out because this is the third time you're failing the tenth grade."

     And that made Riley start thinking. She hated the condescending Mrs. Schaefer so much because every time she had ever come to her office this stupid bitch had always mentioned that she was failing the tenth grade along with a recommendation of dropping out. Then she had another thought- this was the third time she had entered the tenth grade... again. At this rate, what was the point of sticking around in the tenth grade... again?

     Mrs

     Mrs. Schaefer nodded and handed Riley some form and a pen and told her to go out into the secretary's office. While Riley was staring at the form, the school counselor told Lily Watanabe to get Faustine Louis. Then, because Riley got distracted by the conversation in the counselor's office, she eavesdropped and saw and heard this.

     "Congratulations, Faustine. You're officially our valedictorian for the 2012-2013 school year!" Mrs. Schaefer complimented (or did she?), "And you're a deaf special needs students! What an achievement!"

 Schaefer complimented (or did she?), "And you're a deaf special needs students! What an achievement!"