Chapter Forty-Two: The New Neighbor (March 21, 2013)

The class did not give their fullest attention; they only gave their most half-assed attention in Ms

     The class did not give their fullest attention; they only gave their most half-assed attention in Ms. Mitchell's English class.

     "River, why don't you introduce yourself to the class?" Ms. Mitchell recommended.

     River took a deep breath and gave out a half-assed introduction to the class. "My name's River Ziegler, I'm from South Carolina, my mom and dad are in the military, and I like Miranda Lambert and Usher."

     "Oh, wow. This girl just screams white trash," Lidiya muttered to herself.

     Anima knew what Lidiya meant by the white trash comment because of that one time at Lidiya's house a couple of weeks ago.

     "So, I heard about some info about the new neighbor moving in our neighborhood," Lidiya announced as she brought in some chips from the kitchen.

     "What about the new neighbor?" Kishi asked, grabbing a handful of chips.

     "Well, I heard that she's from South Carolina and that her parents are in the military," Lidiya answered.

     "Oh, so she's from the South too?" Amanda said, being from Alabama herself.

     "Apparently so."

     "What makes someone white trash in the first place anyways?" Anima asked.

     So, Lidiya described white trash in the classiest way she could. "They're usually racist and homophobic, they're usually alcoholics, and most of the girls get knocked up at around fourteen."

     "Oh." So pretty much, Lidiya had described half of the people in the YouChannell Home.

     Anyways, Anima, Kishi, and Lidiya were staring at the new girl in class speculating that maybe she was the new neighbor as well. But instead of whispering in class (because Ms. Mitchell wanted to bitch about subject-verb agreements since state testing was coming up), they took it out to lunch.

     "So, River," Lidiya began, "What's South Carolina like?"

     "Shitty," River answered.

     "Really?" The interesting part was soon to come. "How come?"

     "Shit, my part of South Carolina ain't nothing but a bunch of homophobic people and racist white people."

     Well damn, that took an interesting turn.

     "So are you, like, gay or something?" Kishi asked.

     "I'm bisexual."

     Well damn, that took an even more interesting turn.

     "Hey, River," Lidiya asked, "Where'd you move to?"

     "You know that big white house on Shiheed Street?" River asked.