Chapter Sixteen: The Aftermath (September 21, 2012)

"WHAT'S UP, FUCKERS?" Ryan shouted when he came home from school. He took his backpack off and threw it on his bed. He was about to take his clothes off when he noticed Niklas wasn't in his bed. He walked back into the kitchen where Greg, Katja, Tessa, and everyone else were sitting at the kitchen table with depressed looking faces and some with tears teetering on their eyes. Ryan noticed Niklas wasn't among them either. Something was up.

     "Where's Nikki at?" Ryan asked, trying to crack a smile in the midst of uncertainty.

     Greg stood up. "Ryan," he began, walking the boy to his room, "We're gonna have to talk."

     Ryan's stomach dropped before Greg even told the news. "What's up?" he asked with all the happiness he could muster while shaking and panicking.

     "Ryan, Niklas attempted suicide today," Greg finally got it all out without shuddering.

     Ryan's inner anxiety and anger spilled out. "No. No no no no no no no. This is fucking bullshit! THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT! WHAT THE FUCK?! WHAT THE FUCK?!" His hands were numb, his knees were weak, and his heart was palpitating. He was sweating and shaking; he felt like he was going to pass out or die.

     "Ryan, Ryan," Greg soothed, "Let's focus on our breathing. Let's count to ten." Greg and Ryan slowly counted to ten, slowing Ryan's breathing to almost normal.

     "You're doing great. I'm so proud of you," Greg almost whispered. "Do you need anything?"

     Ryan shook his head 'no'. "I-I-I think I'm fine," he said.

     "Are you sure?"

     "...Y-yeah. I'll be fine."

     Of course, that was Monday. This was Friday- four days later. It was almost dinner time. Tamie was busy trying to cook dinner. They were having mashed potatoes and tzimmes with panettone for dessert.

     "So, I heard someone here just got admitted to the psych ward," one of Tamie's hallucinations commented.

     "What the fuck are you doing here?" Tamie growled back.

     "We're just warning you," another one of Tamie's hallucinations answered, "That boy's gonna end up getting more fucked up than ever just like you."

     "Nikki's not gonna end up more fucked up from the hospital," Tamie muttered through clenched teeth, "And I turned out just fine from the same place."

     "Then why do you still hear us?" the first hallucination asked condescendingly.

     Tamie grabbed a pan and swung as hard and swift as she could to-

     "Ryan!" Katja shouted in concern as she ran into the kitchen, "Are you okay?"

     Ryan stumbled back up, rubbing his face and thanking God his nose wasn't bleeding. "Oy, what the fuck, Tamie?!" he inquired.