She tells me they used to bring her good luck, so I'm going to take her advice and see if they actually work. Although I'm guessing they've probably worn off since she said 'used to'.

"Xanthe?" I hear Ameena's mom call from the other side of the door.

I keep forgetting her name.

Well, actually, she never told me her name, but since she's heard Arsen call me 'Xanthe' multiple times, we didn't really need an introduction, hence why I don't know her name.

"Yeah?" I call back.

"Breakfast is ready for you downstairs. I'm going to work, so if you need anything, don't hesitate to call the number on the fridge, okay?" She tells me.

I nod then remember she can't see me and open the door instead.

Ameena's mom is really pretty.

She's tall - surprisingly taller than Ameena - and slim. Her mom works as an editor at the Journal's Keep in central. She has a book signing today and has to meet up with a few authors.

She says it's very rare to find a slot for a book signing these days, so she's excited.

She's got a loose scarf - or hijab, as she calls - wrapped around her head. Enough to show a few curly strands of jet black hair falling out and her huge hoop earrings, along with a beautiful blouse and loose trousers.

It's chic.

I give her my brightest smile.

"Thank you so much, um...Ameena's mom, you didn't have to make us anything. We could've eaten out." She gives me an amused smile and merely shakes her head.

"Nonsense. Your boyfriend's been pestering me with the same thing. That boy has grown a lot. He was a silly little kid last time I saw him. Looked nothing like the man he is now. But, I'm surprised he's settled. He was always moving from one girl to another," She explains.

I raise my eyebrows, her words dawning on me.

He used to move on from one girl to another...?

And...boyfriend?!

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but he's definitely not my boyfriend. More of a...boss, in a way," I laugh, wondering if Arsen heard from downstairs.

Don't be an idiot, Xanthe, he's not a vampire.

Or maybe he is...

Oh, shut up.

But he sparkles like Edward.

So do the stars. Are they vampires?

I blush, feeling like a lunatic.

Ameena's mom just shakes her head and tuts.

"That's what they all say," And then, with one last smile, walks down the stairs and grabs her bag before exiting the house.

I trudge down and into the small, cozy kitchen.

Arsen's sat at the countertop and is sipping coffee from a cup that says, and I quote, "Best Boy #1" on it.

I almost snort, until I realize he's too busy typing away on his MacBook to apprehend the fact that I've walked into the kitchen. Or that I'm alive.

I sigh loudly and sit down in front of him, his face illuminating from the laptop's bright screen, making him look hotter than he already is.

That's the last time I'm admitting it.

"Hello," I start. When he doesn't answer, I continue. "Whatcha doing?"

He doesn't even lookup.

I roll my eyes and slump down low in the high chair so that his face is hidden from the screen, then, I pull out my tongue.