"I hate that girl."

“Then what happened?”

I hesitated and bit down on the inside of my lip.

“Then… I introduced her. And everyone liked her.”

***

“And who’s this?” Jace asked me and I just shrugged.

“Kennedy, she needs a ride to her deathly ill grandma’s and now… she’s coming with us.”

“Oh really?” he asked me with raised eyebrows and I nodded my head at him.

“Well welcome to the Traveler’s Express!” Gavin said and rushed over to her, throwing an arm over her shoulder “My name is Gavin, feel free to admire.”

Kennedy rolled her eyes at him and I was about to go over to her when I felt a hand circle around my arm and pull me to the side.

“What the hell, who is she?” Thea suddenly asked and Jace was standing beside her with the same ‘what the fuck?’ expression.

“Listen,” I told both of them and removed Thea’s hand from my arm “She’s a really nice person and her bus left her here stranded, alone, without anyone. Her grandmas practically dying in Kingman and since that’s on the way to Vegas, I just thought we could drop here off when we pass it.”

“Like hell,” Thea harshly whispered “-we’re not going all the way to Kingman and back here that’s too much-”

“Which is exactly why she’s coming with us for now.” I interrupted her and watched as her mouth drop.

“Millie! Do you not realize that we’re barely making ends meet! If we add another person into the mix-”

“I think that’s a great idea.” Jace cut her off and she snapped her eyes over to him.

“What?”

“I mean, sure it’ll be hard adding an extra room when we get the motel but other than that, I think it’ll be fun.”

“Fun? Jace do you not realize how difficult it is going to be-”

“When what? When she tries to make conversation? Oh yeah that’ll totally be so hard to reply to.”

“Why are you such an asshole?”

“Why are you such a bitch?”

“Guys!” I screamed at them and they both turned my way “Okay, first of all, you,” I pointed to Jace “You need to be nicer, this is my best friend and you,” I pointed to Thea “Can’t you just give her a chance? I mean come on; it’s only for two days. She could use some help.”

“Not our help.” Thea muttered and I rolled my eyes at her.

“Come on, at least try to act civil.”

“No promises.” She replied and crossed her arms before turning the other way and getting in the car.

I let out a deep sigh and ran a hand through my hair, squeezing gently at the tips before I felt two arms wrap around my waist.

“You okay?” Jace asked and rested his chin on my shoulder.

I let my head drop back the tinniest bit and felt the contact with his shoulder.

“Yeah.”

“Don’t worry about Thea, I think what you’re doing is great.”