22 [E]

Edward Kenning

Outside, the air if just as suffocating as it is inside the room. I feel my knees go weak as I crumple to the floor, feeling emotions hollow out a notch in my chest. The lights overhead become fuzzy fireflies of yellow, dancing before my vision and maming my head spin. I feel like throwing up but my stomach is empty and I doubt I have the energy to even summon my food back up.

Panting harshly, I feel the the stuffy substance twist in my lungs and coax all forms of solace out of my body and the morbird truth and realisation starts to inch through my the vessels beneath my skin, coil so tightly around my bones that I ache for out of here, for my soul to be released from my body and not feel the strange agony that wraps around me like vines, clinging along a pole, desperate to grasp onto the metal surface for life.

I need to get out of here.

Struggling onto my feet, I force my weary limbs to carry me towards the exit and get onto the lift as the doors slide open. The tiny box doesn't do much to provide solace but I'll sit through the uncomfortable ride if it means getting a glimpse of the broad sky, getting a taste of fresh air into my lungs. As the doors ease open, I tumble out of the metallic trap and allow my body to give in to the pressure that has been squeezing my chest. The constriction starts to diminish as I feel the coolness from the ground seep through every pore in my body. The cold, frigid air lightens the mass I feel on my shoulders and gradually, I lift my gaze to the sky.

The traces of gold that the dying sun has left against the ground starts to fade, surrendering to the darkness that begins to inch across the crust of Atlanta and soak up every last bit of coiled yellow that has been sprung along the horizon.

Bringing my hands to my face to block the bright colours that start to ebb away, my skin brushes along my face and traces of tears stain my arms and wrists. I have been crying. For how long is inestimable.

My body is immobile as I suck in a ball of air, relieved when the extreme stress on my chest slackens to give rise to the trough of oxygen that slowly grows steep and topples over, capsizing in the chambers of my lungs.

"Ed? You okay?"

It's Martha and her voice floats from behind me. Refusing to turn around, I shake my head, my entire body stilled pasted to the ground.

"Hey, just breathe, alright? Take some time to calm down."

I can hear Martha settling into a sitting position on the ground as I seal my eyes shut and try to block out the world. But no matter how hard I try to not think about everything that has happened, the more those thoughts rise to the surface of my mind. Luke- Sebestian's face keeps hovering in my thoughts and I just want to wipe that memory clean.

Conquered by the repetitive thoughts of Sebestian, I finally get on my feet and draw the sight of my surroundings back in.

"Let's go." My tone is cold and hard, fortified with disgust and hatred for Sebestian. It's funny how I'm able to tell myself that this is Sebestian and not Luke anymore. But I guess they're two different people. One body  for two separate souls.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" Martha asks, concerned as we step back into the lift, dug into a fallen boulder.

"Never better."

We make our way back to the research room and Martha links up the series number of Ellie and Kirk's ear comms upon my suggestion.

"Are you sure we should trust Sebestian? I really doubt that they were kidnapped." Martha says as she runs the numbers along the screen.

"It's not about Sebestian or the truth to his words. If you think about it, they should have met up with us by now. No one would have noticed someone sneaking into Circinus unit- all the teams have been sent out on their missions."

"So what you're saying is that the person could have easily snatched Ellie and Kirk from under our nose?"

"Yes. On a more positive note, I din't think that they would have been so foolish as to not leave a mark. One of them would have made a grab for their comms, knowing that we would try to trace them once we noticed their absence." I reply. It's weird that I can't feel anything anymore. My mind is so focused on getting Ellie and Kirk back that everything that I have learned in the past hour seems muffled, as compared to how glaring the danger that Ellie and Kirk are in.

"Okay, I got the address of their comms." An address takes shape on the screen. Punching a few buttons stamped along the panel, Martha makes a copy of the address and pastes it in an empty field box. The two of us wait in suspense as the panel runs the numbers, causing us to be highly strung.

A soft ding is articulated as the holographic screen display a match for the address.

"Oh great Galaxy." Martha groans softly, her features kindled with fear as she reads the development that has been constructed in on the location.

"What is it?" As I turn my eyes towards the scree, my heart is sent into a scuttle, descending rapidly as waves of panic continously strike against the depression chiselled along it.

Ellie and Kirk are being held hostage at the Resistance's HeadQuarters.

Word Count: 964 Words

A/N: And~ the end is in sight! (Or so I hope). Feedback is strongly encouraged, highly appreciated! (:

 Feedback is strongly encouraged, highly appreciated! (: