8 [S]

Sebestian Knight

Dinner is an affair of laughter and chatter endlessly flowing through the passageways. I decide to sit out of it and find myself settled along one of the benches that lies along the passage. The wood bites into my skin as I roll my palms along the base, feeling the wood starting to splinter under my touch.

From the dinning room, the faint noises of plates clinking together and forks scraping against surfaces wafts out and I sigh, resting my head along the tunnel's walls boredly. I never expected for the Solars to bring me to their safehouse but I guess all I can do is wait it out before I can leave for the Darks' side of Atlanta. If I want to ensure my citizens are safe and not running amok, I need to leave as soon as possible.

"Hey." A voice breaks my train of thoughts and I glance up to find Edward. His brows are raised in a questioning manner and he runs a hand through the yellow roots of his hair, almost embarrassed.

"Can I sit?" He asks.

I nod and budge up thought there's enough room to fit the two of us. As he settles beside me, I notice his lips tilt upwards in the formation of a smile.

"I never got to thank you for earlier," He says, his voice swelling with grattitude, "It was really cool of you to do what you did."

"It's no problem." I reply, wondering if he's coming close to resembling anything like a point. If he's only here to thank me, it's meaningless because nothing will change my mind. Knowing that I'm in debt to him, that I will forever be on his blacklist unbeknownst to him.
Offering to go down first was an impulsive move- the horror on his face and the way his breaths were so loud, they rattled throughout the tunnel and reached the surface- it all spurred me to take his place. And of course, the fact that kept bugging me in the back of my mind, telling me that I owed it to him.

"You know, just because you're a Dark doesn't mean you can't join us for dinner." Edward says, stretching his arm out along the bench, spanning half of its length. Under the glow of the lights that are strung along the walls, his skin turns yellow and gold, shining with a purness that releases a shudder down my body.

"I just needed some time away to think." I say smoothly, the lie feeling natural.

"I get that. Still, it's always good to surround yourself with people, too. There won't be anything else to get you when everything falls apart." Edward replies softly.
Stifling the urge to roll my eyes, I oppose his statement, "There's always darkness. I don't need anyone to support me if I have the darkness to accompany me."

"And I have light. But it's not always true that just the presence or lack of light will be able to comfort us. Take me for example. I don't always rely on light to be my solace or guide. I have a little brother who's always there when I need him the most."

His words spring a sour taste on the tip of my tongue and my heart palpitates upon catching the construct of his sentence- words braided with a tinge of sudden nostalgia and covet.

Right. I nearly forgot that he had a brother, too. It's not like I have much free time in my schedule to keep tabs on his entire family but a part of me feels sorry, regretful for how I have torn his life apart so easily, pulling away the every thread that knotted into a fine covering, causing his world to quiver and fall.

I am the reason his father is no longer alive. I am the reason the only solace left in his life is his brother.

Suddenly, it feels like the chambers of my lungs have became a gapping hole itself and there's a loud crunch from underneath my fingers where a part of the wood chipped off.

Pain sears along the surface of my skin as the sharp edges of the wood bites along my hand. I draw back instantly, hoping that Edward doesn't realise how tense I have been throughout the last part of the conversation.

"Wow. You're really prone to injuries, huh?" Edward laughs, sympathy lighting up his features like a torch as I swipe the blood along the bandage along my other arm. I'll clean it up later, it's no big deal.

"I guess."

"I wanted to ask you something else, too."

"What is it?"

"I just thought it was weird that the night predator attacked you. You would think being a Dark wouldn't make you a prey in their eyes, wouldn't you?"

The question nearly stops the blood pulsing through my veins and my breath hitches in my throat.

He's right.

Since I was young, I have always known that night-time was a safe time for Darks. Night predators never attacked on those who dwelled among shadows and thrived on dark energy. Confusion rises up my throat and I have to press my back entirely against the wall to stop from shaking.

"I- I guess I was too close to the Solars' side of Atlanta? Maybe our night predators differ?"

Being so caught up by how the night predator had attempted to shred my arms to bits threw me off and I didn't really realise how impossible the act of attacking me was. Now that Edward had make that point crystal, I was stumped and left at a loss for words. Did the night predators think I was betraying my fellow Darks? Leaving the Darks for Solars?

"Maybe." I hear Edward say but he doesn't sound too convinced, either.

"Hey, you two! Ready for the tour?" Alex materialises in front of us, his figure barricading the gushing flares of colours from the beads of light that the tunnel walls were dappled with.

Edward bounces onto his feet eagerly while I give a jerk of my head, wishing that I could get this over and done with. I can't be trapped in this underground bunker forever. I need to get moving and leave as soon as possible before anything happens to the Darks.

I need to make my move tonight.

Word Count: 1066 Words

A/N: Hope you like it! Don't be shy to leave a comment or drop by with a vote! All votes, comments and shares are appreciated! (: