2 [S]

Sebestian Knight

"You asked me for your opinion. I was only giving you what you requested for." My voice is hard but the traces of fear that underlines my tone isn't difficult to detect.

My father notes it, too, and whirls around in a blur of motion. His eyes blaze with a heat that is almost too familiar and I feel the words that are congested in my lungs, begging to be set free. I want to push him beyond the limit and break him. I want to provoke him.

"The reason I asked you to evaluate the battle ships was because I trusted you. You have proved that I am a fool and I will not allow you to bear the weight of such a huge responsibility again."

His words feel like pinpricks of icicles. The sarcasm and disdain that punctuates each word causes my mouth to turn dry. I blink angrily, trying to repel the mass of tears that begins to build up behind my eyes.

Sixteen years.

Why am I still like this?

As we cross the site where battleships are stored and carefully guarded, I catch sight of a couple soldiers hurrying across the land, their bodies hunched and their faces worn with weariness and fear.

Frowning, I stop in my tracks and ignore as my father continues to cross the area. I have visited this site countless times but it's my first time seeing the guards and soldiers so tense while changing shifts.

Wait a minute.

I turn my gaze towards the moon that hangs in the sky- a crescent shape with its sharo curve digging into the pitch black. The angle at which its edge curves tells me that it's nearing dawn but my brain argues that soldiers don't usually change shifts this early. The day shift begins much later.

"Father?" I quicken my pace to catch up with my father. The distance shrinks as I adapt a steady jog, causing my breaths to rattle heavily in my chest.

"Father!" He comes to a halt as I slide into the empty position by his side.

"Did your order the gaurds to change their shift early?"

"What?" The frustration that previously distorted his face returns as he presses his lips into a thin line of disapproval. Still, I fight with the breaths that rage war to leave my lungs and force myself to speak.

"The guards! It's not time for them to leave their posts just yet!"

My father's eyes narrow as distrust registers on his features, "Son, haven't you screwed up enough for one day?"

"I'm being serious here! They're not supposed to change shifts!" I twist to survey the surroundings to find the site devoid of soldiers. Not a single guard stands in sight and the hollow silence that thrums throughout the area is almost too loud, too intense.

"President Richard, can you hear me? This is Kenneth, second in command for all Emergencies and Evacuation Department, over."

The hiss of panic that fills the air, through the holes that dot my father's radio device is the only sound that whistles through the stretch of land.

"Present. Over."

"There is an emergency that requires your immediate attenti-" The voice breaks into fragments of words as the noise from the other end grows defeaning. The continous hiss and crackle causes Kenneth's words to splinter into incoherent pieces of sound.

"What is it?" My father reaches for the radio device that hangs by his belt, his clutch on it firm as he presses the device to his ear, almost frantic for the puzzle pieces of words.

"I- problem- at-"

All noise that follows through from the fractures in Kenneth's voice dies off abruptly.

"Kenneth? Kenneth!" My father madly jabs at the buttons on the device but to no avail. The only thing that is willing to accompany us is the suspense, the anticipation of wondering if Kenneth is safe, if the guards that left their posts have anything to do with this.

"Stupid man!" My father swears and he hooks the device back to his belt. Despite his enraged exterior, it's easy to see that he's shaken. His fingers struggle to clasp the device's hook to the belt and his hands shake with the effort. As he oscillates slightly, he looks rattled beyond recognition.

"What's going on?" This time, the words slip out of my mouth easily enough.

My father doesn't answer. Instead, he continues across the site and towards the exit. Annoyed by his indifference, I follow at a pace that outmatches his. My feet carry me as quickly as possible out of the site and into the more civilised, developed part of the planet.

It is only when I see the scene before me that I regret hurrying out so urgently.

The land before me is split into two with a sharp gap that extends beyond my peripheral view. The giant void of emptiness and the dark chasm created makes me stumble a few paces backwards as trepidation washes over me.

I can't think. There are no words that I know that can describe the way my feet are rooted to the ground, the way I try to move but can't.

I think I can hear my father coming up a few metres behind me. His heavy footsteps slam into the floor and I want to yell at him to stop, from fear that it will only do more damage to the crust. But my words fail me.

Battleships that can barely hold themselves together and a giant crack in the earth's crust.

My world is slowly being torn apart.

Word Count: 937 Words

A/N: I hope this was exciting enough for you! (: Also, please tell me what you think of the events that have occured and the characters!

Every vote, comment and share is appreciated and highly cherished!