14 [E]

Edward Kenning

Night time rolls about unexpectedly fast. I think it might be something to do with how nervous I am, wishing that the day will slow to a crawl which spurs the night on but it's too late to think about the damage of my thoughts. We're sitting around the thin panels in the Techies room, Ellie and Kirk seated on chairs as they run information through the holographic screen.

Martha had ordered us to change into clothes a few minutes earlier and the tuxedo that I have struggled into starts to feel like it's choking me. The collar is turned in a way that causes an itch to creep against my skin and the necktie is binding around my neck too tightly. Fidgeting uncomfortably, I shift to look at the weapons hidden along the inner folds of the fabric- a knife at the side, a few hand grenades in the pocket.

"I hughly doubt we'll need to resort to such drastic measures." Martha strolls into the room and I feel my lips part to reveal a figure of shock. Fitted in a slim dress that slides down her waist and asserts emphasis on the length of her legs, she glides into the room almost naturally, allowing the tiny sequins that layer the seams of her dress to sparkle as the light catches against their gleam.

"Last time I checked, we were on a mission." Luke says coldly. There is a look of annoyance that crosses his features as he speaks, leaning against the cave walls with a firmness that declares his focus on the mission.

"If you guys want to get into the gallery, you need to look the part of rich and wealthy Solars." Ellie replies to Luke's snarky comment as she leans towards the panel, her fingers stretching across the screen and drawing up more surveillance footage. The coast is chaotic with employees rushing to finish the last fews tasks- perfecting the angle of cloths against modern tables, running through the guest lists.

"If you set off now, you should make it with time to spare. Get a feel of the layout and report back once you're comfortable. We'll rig the fire alarm, causing the others to leave and shut down the security system. The Resistance members- you have to take out yourself." Ellie shoots us a look which is filled with hope, "I hate to be pragmatic but this is what we have to settle for."

"Alright, let's do some last-minute check on the equipment and our weapons!" Martha prompts. I frown, glancing at her dress, "How on Atlanta do you plan on smuggling weapons through that dress?"

Returning my glance with a look of irritation, Martha motions towards her footwear. That's when I notice that her dress cascades towards the floor, flawlessy hiding a set of weapons tucked along her training boots. They're worn with age but the integrity of the soles don't seem to be compromised- in fact, it looks stable enough to support the weight of her weapons.

I pat down my tuxedo, feeling the rough bumps of the materials hidden along my frame.

"Alright, the three of you should leave now. The car's outside and ready for you."

Martha, Luke and I begin to amke our way to the exit- instead of a ladder, there's a lift that operates to bring us to the surface of Atlanta. When I ask Martha about the reason behind the different modes of transportation, she answers with a vague response.

"The lifts travel faster than when we climb our way to the top. This way, if there is a chance of an attack, we'll be able to escape quickly."

It seems like she's nervous for her first assignment, too.

The vehicle that we have been assigned to is wide and stretches across, the hood flat and long. The windows are tinted black and visibility of the interior is murky.

"I'm guessing you guys din't usually have access to such resources?" Lukes asks Martha who shakes hed head in reply.

"It's Luna's treat. She traded some points in for us to get this sweet ride." We slip into the vehicle and the engine at the back roars to life, fuelled by the solar energy reserves in the tank. I scroll the windows down with a button that's stamped along the side of the doors despite Martha's hard stare of disapproval, begging for the cool wind outside to clear my mind.