16 [S]

Sebestian Knight

When the art gallery is far behind us, Edward reaches for the art piece that he's still clutching to his chest and inspects the threads that crease the outer ridges.

"Seriously? That's your first priority?" The words sound natural in my head but when they emerge, it's harsh and spiteful. Edward winces, blinking at the scenery that has been sprayed along the canvas as if he's holding back tears.

"What do you want me to do?" His voice wobbles softly. Stifling a sigh, I continue to drive. It feels so strange, driving endlessly into the night with no clear goal in mind but a million thoughts occupying the space in my head. I don't exactly know where the other members of team eta have disappeared to and I'm not even certain that the Resistance have fallen off our trail.

"Pick up the speed, darn it." Edward mutters angrily, wiping at the dark rings under his eyes. A flare of annoyance glows in my chest and my grip on the wheel tightens dramatically as I try to shove the anger away.

I'm angry and there's no point in being upset with Edward, too.

"Try reaching them on the comms again." I suggest, my words a frazzled sigh.

Dumping the picture on his lap, Edward plucks the ear comm from his ear and taps against the button carved along the side. A faint buzz replies but there is no sign of Ellie's laughter or Kirk's side chuckle. The lack of Martha's snide remarks has never felt scary before.

"M-maybe they're busy with other Salvation stuff." Edward tries unhelpfully.

For the next few minutes as Edward lapse back into his pattern of prodding the painting and examining it, thumbing the strings attached to the side cautiously, I stare out into the track ahead and drive in silence.

We have long left the developed part of Atlanta that the Solars own and the area around us is rural- a few plants that struggle to stay alive, clinging to the ground desperately stretching their roots deep along for a drink and trees that are bare, strung with fairy lights that glow tiredly.

The rain that started as a slow drizzle earlier beings to smash against the windshield, the noise each droplet create stringing into a defeaning sound that thunders outside, accompanying the growl of thunder that rumbles overhead. A flash of lightning slashes across the sky, ripping the seam of black into two and I wonder if the Solar System thought it would be a gift to reflect my mood through the sky.

It's only when the car begins to slow do I know that we're in danger.

"No. Please don't." I mumble under my breath, digging my shoe against the pedal with all my might. The stubborn piece of plastic squeaked angrily under my weight as the car groans into a stop and a burst of smoke starts to drift from the front, seeping through the hood of the car.

I curse furiously, banging my elbow against the side door before shoving it open.

"Luke? What's wrong?" Edward calls from his seat. I don't answer him. Instead, I stalk to the front of the car and tug the lid of the hood upwards. Sliding up, the hood reveals machinery that has been clogged up and tanks damaged tanks with dark, murky solar energy.

"The energy has been contaminated! Someone knew that we were going to be here and picked out our car." I yell as another bolt of lightning zip along the sky, the yellow flash painting the ground below a golden yellow.

"What?" Edward slides out if his seat and materialises by my side. He peeks at the ruined machinery and chews on his lip, as if trying to bite back a declaration of our doom.

The smoke billows from the chambers that swash with the filthy solar energy- now liquified into a disgusting solution that only fuels my anxiety. Peeling my eyes away from the vehicle, I take a quick survey of the land around us. No cars for miles and only barren land. As I squint to my right, I notice a ray of light that manages to fight its way through the torrent of rain that collapses from the sky.