10 [E]

Edward Kenning

I can't seem to fall asleep. I think that it's pretty strange that to sleep, you have to pretend you're sleeping in the first place.
Though I am a Solar and it makes sense that it is during the night that my energy is revitalised, there's something that disturbs me in the midst of the night. To be honest, I'm noteven sure if it is day or night back in the Solar system- I'm not certain where I am.

So maybe it's that. But despite all those worries, I think the main problem lies elsewhere. Whenever my eyes feel heavily lidded with weariness that threatens to pull my eyelids shut and begs my body for a peaceful night's slumber, my body simply refuses. Something's not right.

Overhead, Kirk's breathing is constant and shallow, accompanied with a pattern of snoring. But even the sound of his night activity can't convince me that it is the suspect of my sleep-deprived crime.

Martha and Ellie take the bunk bed next to us but there's barely a noise from where they lie.

Finally deciding that I either force myself to sleep or stay up and explore the area to be productive, I silently slip out of my bed. The soft ground beneath my feet is cold against my skin and I breathe in shakily, feeling my toes curl against the comforting surface.

The tiny lights installed along the walls, festooned across the bed frames and alligning the side of the ladders emit a soft, gentle glow that is bright enough that it isn't entirely encased in darkness but dim enough that it induces sleep.

Allowing the light's rays to act as an invisible shield around me, I troop across the bed towards the door. That's when I notice the strange way that the bed closest to the door has been shifted- the sheets have been intentionally mussed in such a way that it can go unnoticed upon an unsuspceting glance but a closer examination reveals that the bed is empty.

With a sinking heart, I realise that Luke was supposed to be sleeping in this bed.

Luke the Dark.

Ie he out here to get revenge? Is he plotting something?

All my Solar instincts scream at me to scramble back to bed and slide beneath the covers, to feign ignorance and beg for sleep to come but I steel myself and ignore the strain on my muscles that pull me in the direction of my bed. If Luke is really up to something, I need to go and investigate it. Ensure that whatever he's up to is at least, not dangerous.

With bated breath and my heart slamming at a ridiculous pace against my ribcage, I gently push against the door. The creak it prompts makes me stop in my act and my body freezes up, unable to move as I listen for any signs of a disturbed sleep. When no one makes a noise that suggests they are awake or roused by the noise, I slip out of the room and gently tug the door back into its place. It quietly slips into frame and I release my the breath that I have been holding in, the tension easing from my body.

The tiny lights that dot the side of the cave do a quiet dance as the colour in the bulbs flicker in and out of their casings in a rhythmic pattern, as if someone is controlling them based on time of the day. Enchanted for a moment, I watch the way they blink for a fraction of a second before remembering why I came out here in the first place.

Focusing on the mission at hand, I try to recall the tour that Alex gave me and Luke. How the doors closests to the entry to the tunnel are labelled and their specific roles.

Irecall the doors closest being specialised rooms- rooms for each field that the Salvation trains their members in and how the doors at the end of the tunnel where an emergency escape is are our sleeping quarters. In the middle are the washrooms and other rooms that include meals and training areas. Wondering where Luke could be, I wander down the passage, stopping every time my ears catch even the tiniest signal of a person that's not sleeping behind a door.

"Edward?"

A familiar voice, taut with authority, snaps me out of my trance of thoughts, causing my heart to flutter with shock. For a second, I'm stunned into silence as I glance up and stare right into Daniel's accusing gaze.

"What on Atlanta are you doing awake at such an hour?"

With my answer trembling against the root of my tongue, I find myself reaching out for the most genuine, honest respond I can give.

"I don't have a solar powered watch. I don't know what time it is."

Daniel's brows knit together as he frowns at me, almost unsure whether to believe my words. His eyes darken with suspicion but his next sentence doesn't contain any accusation, just an underlying sense of confusion.

"It's really late for the Solar System- eleven fifteen, night-time."

After a pause and searching my face for any guilty markers, Daniel shakes his head at me.

"You should go back to bed, Edward."

Not until I find Luke and bring myself up to speed with whatever he's doing.

"I- I will. I'm in search of the washrooms." It's terrifying how natural the lie feels coming from me and how freely it forms in my head.

"You've just missed it. It's down the passage, to your left."

"Oh. Right." I start to feel a warm sensation fill my cheeks as I head in the direction that Daniel gives me. Shuffling my feet in a way that will hinder my speed, I quickly turn my gaze towards Daniel once I'm down the passage. When his figure is finally out of sight, I do a turn and race down the passage to the first room- choosing to do a search that is more thorough and will surely yield results.

Maybe all the moons have been clouded over by the sun tonight because it's just my luck. I find Luke in the room, his figure hunched over the rectangular slim table as his fingers quickly operate the buttons on the panel.

As his fingers tap lightly against the buttons, causing a screen to enlarge and span along the surface of the table, Luke leans back into view and begins to manipulate the screen- sizing it and tapping on the numbers and data that starts to unravel along the holographic film of purple.

It is when I see the information that is so critical, I forget myself and make my presence known.

"What on Atlanta are you doing with that information about the Resistance?"

Word Count: 1142

A/N: Hope you like this chapter! (:

Every vote, comment and share is greatly appreciated!