20 [S]

Sebestian Kenning

The seconds that I tick off in my head begin to stretch into minutes that I can no longer accurately measure which creeps into what I feel like are hours.

Refusing to lie on the floor, I have folded my body into a cross-legged position, hoping that I din't stay here long enough for the dust that marks the side of the walls to collect against my clothes as well. The air is stuffy down here and the smell is rancid. The first few seconds of holding my breath proved a foolish idea after my lungs ran iut of oxygen and I had to choke in the air around here. Still recalling the vivid menory, I run my fingers along my thighs and pray for someone to help me.

Footsteps silently ring out- careful and precise. Quickly glancing to where the noise wafts from, I wipe the defeated look on my features.

It's Keith.

My shoulders slump, sagging as I shoot Keith a dark look.

"You traitor." I hiss, deciding against clawing at his figure which stands just before my cell. The look of entertainment that is taunt on his face humiliates me and and a wave of shame engulfs me. Keith raises his hand to dismiss the guards by his side and as the two hesitantly make their way out, Keith takes a daring step closer to the cell.

As soon as the sound of their shoes clapping against the ground fades, he drops to his kneee in a squatting position, the contempt on his face gone.

"You need to trust me." His voice is lowered into a hiss and there's an urgency in his eyes that scares me. Frowning at him and refusing to draw close to the bars, I rise to my feet, arms crossing along my chest.

"You're kidding me." I spit coldly, still unable to accept the semblance of denial that he previously adapted. Pain flashes onto Keith's face but he doesn't shift from his crouching position.

"There are cameras watching and recording everything I say and do. You need to get down here and get along with it if you want me to get you out."

"I don't believe you. What if this is all a ruse, just like earlier?" I sneer softly.

"Listen to me, Sebestian. I have known your father for years and where you're going with- your idea? He would have disapproved of it. I have been trying to get him to consider the very same suggestion up to his untimely death."

I shake my head, unable to come up wuth a witty comeback.

"You have to trust that I had to throw you in jail and bring the General back."

"Oh, that's right. Because there's someone finally in power who likes your idea so you throw that very same person in a cell and get some senior who couldn't care less to abdicate the throne." The snide comment bounces off him like a sword glancing off a shield.

"No one is going to believe that you can lead them. You're just a teenager in your subjects' eyes, Sebestian. I will help you fight for the peace that you so badly want but you need to believe that I'm on your side."

Finally dropping to his level, I stare right into Keith's eyes, glowering at him with an anger that I wish I could demonstrate on him, "How do I know that you're not lying? How do I know that you're not taking the throne for yourself, coward?"

The last word causes him to cringe but our closeness brings his hands to wrap around the bars, in a way that suggests he wants closure. He wants to seal the deal.

"I will release you from this cell. It will put me in jeopardy but I will free you. I have came up with a plan that will eventually result in overthrowing the General and putting your plan in action." Keith speaks in a clear manner and despite how soft his voice is, each word rings out with a clarity and confidence that indicates his sincerity.

"I can't just let you release me like that and expect Atlanta in one piece. You need to give me the finer details of your operation." I snap, my impatience unwavering.

Keith sighs, "I understand. And I will have my operation plans drawn out for you. When I release you, I will also provide resources and a way to keep in touch. For now, you need to focus on getting away. You'll be a wanted man once you escape."

His words carve a deep perpetuation of fear within my chest but my grip on the iron bars don't loosen.

"Get me the plans and my resources. I don't trust you and I certainly don't understand why you're risking all to help me but I don't have any other choice than to put my faith in you."

Keith nods, a tinge of sadness underscoring his features, "I have never liked the way the Dark system is run. Ever since your father hired me, my priority has always been forming alliance with the Solars. So if you have to doubt me, it stings. Still, I'll do whatever it takes to bring your idea to life."

As Keith leaves the basement, I am left to wonder if his words hold any truth. In the end, I don't think there's really anything left to believe in except for hoping team Eta finds me before I have to succumb to trusting Keith.

Word Count: 924 Words

A/N: Just bumping my words up gently! (: I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Feedback is greatly encouraged and strongly appreciated!