12 [S]

"The Resistance operates in large task forces and communicate through leaving messages which hold prophecies."

"Tonight, there will be a huge opening of an art gallery. This photo, one of the prized posessions in the gallery, will contain the prophecy. It is our job to get in, get it and get out." Ellie clicks on a folder on the screen and an image of a framed landscape slides into view. It is one that depicts a dark landscape- barren land that runs on for miles and a the darkest overcast sky.

"I can't imagine anyone communicating via prophecy." I remark, trying to soak in every brushstroke visible from the picture, notice every fracture that the tip of the paint brush used to draw the potrait has made on the canvas.

"What do you Darks use to communicate?" Kirk asks, interested.

I shrug at him as if that's the easiest question I have ever answered, "Curses. What else?"

"C'mon, guys. Let's focus." Ellie demands for our attention, "We have got three passes so that'll be Martha, Luke and Edward. Kirk and I will be in the research rooms and communicating with you through earpieces."

"How would we get to the painting? Everyone will be gathering around it- it's the masterpiece of the gallery." Edward rocks himself back and forth, the balls of his feet hiking his figure upwards.

"We'll have to cause a distraction." I reply instantly.

Ellie nods, "Luke's right. But even if we distract the public, there are always members of the Resistance who wilp be guarding the messages."

Martha snorts at this comment, "You would think that the members of the Resistance would relay the messages themself in person- they already have the resources and time to watch over some random words."

I shake my head, "No, don't you see? They have ingenious ways of thinking through it- should their guards be left for dead or should their first layer of defence dissolve, they'll have the prophecies to fall back on. Words scrambled up in a form of poetry- that becomes difficult to discern if you don't have any insiders' information."

As soon as the words are out of my mouth, I regret them. The Solars leer at me as if I'm a stramge creature they have never seen before, which I guess is half right. I'm probably the first Dark they have seen.

"How do you know all this, Luke?" Ellie rubs her nose tiredly but I hear the suspicion that lurks around the edges of her voice. The others have an unsettling insert of accusation in their stares, too.

Quickly recalling my fib, I clear my throat, "While I was captured by the Resistance, I heard a bunch of them discussing their defences. That was when they thought I was dizzy from the drugs they had given me. I learned a lot of things there."

It's not true, of course. There's lies, painted to be made out like the truth. Honestly speaking, I have inside contacts with the Resistance. Their beliefs are alligned with that of the Darks and some of them become rather useful when I need intel regarding the political situatiom of the Solar system.

Kirk and Ellie nod at me, dismissing my answer with speed but Martha's gaze starts to feel like lasers, drilling a hole straight through me. Edward says nothing but I can almost hear the words running through his mind- a flood of doubt, still fresh from the memory of last night.

"Suppose that you're right regarding their protection protocol. Say they have more than guards defending the piece- lasers, automatic guns and all kinds of traps. What do we do?" Kirk groans, flopping onto the floor with an air of defeat.

"That's why you and I will both be watching the three of them through the security system. I'm guessing that you can hack into their security system? After that, you can shut everything down except for the feed that you stream on our network. The weapons and booby traps that have been laid out won't work, then. They'll be running on Solar energy as to avoid suspicion and if you can block their only passage to their reserves-"

"- That way, none of their machines will have anyhing to feed on." I finish for Ellie. There is more stunned silence but I have anticipated this. Crossing my arms, I scrunch my face up with impatience, "Can we get on with this?"

Ellie raises both brows at me but doesn't pursue questioning me.

"As soon as one of you cause the distraction, Kirk will get into their systems. That just leaves the three of you to take down the guards and get the prophecy."

"And get out of that place safely." Martha adds, the emphasis in her tone not light hearted.

Ellie clasps her hands and flashes all of us a megawatt beam.

"Our first assignment, Eta! Now, let's go get breakfast!"

Word Count: 822

A/N: Gosh, I'm so excited for team Eta! Leave a comment and tell me what you think of the plot or any part of the book so far!

Every read, vote, comment and share is appreciated! (: