Why is your violence still hurting me?

Uzaeris' lungs burned as he ran, his magic dangerously low from sending Ezaeur's soldiers back, pulling them from one battleground to drop them into another. His power almost faltered as he sent the last of their forces.

That his father dared to attack Lilith Castle, dared to attack Lilith's bloodline, was insane. And effective. Now, the Demon Lord's army surged forward without opposition to flank the other rebel forces. It didn't matter. The fight on this field would not determine the war.

Uzaeris' eyes lifted to see a bright flare of dragon fire, hearing the roar of his brother, Aomaris, the bellow of their father answering. Raestrao was yelling something as well. All of it was on the edge of his hearing, the fighting around him drowning them out.

He pushed himself to his limit, desperate to know what was happening. Keep running. The cliffs towered above on either side, the soldiers' battle left behind as he hurried. Just over the rise.

Almost there.

Ezaeur should have been fighting alongside Aomaris to help take down his father. Now, Uzaeris was all they could offer and while he could strike his father down without hesitation, the thought of Raestrao...

Aomaris won't kill him. They would incapacitate him if necessary, but neither of them would take their older brother down if he gave them the choice.

Finally.

He topped the rise. Finally, he had made it to his brothers.

Uzaeris skidded to a halt, the world going silent. Bloody sword in hand, Raestrao was staring back at him, chest heaving as he fought to catch his breath. Determination burned in every line of his brother's battered body as their father fell.

The Demon Lord's head dropped to the ground with a finality between them.

He's dead! Uzaeris' heart lifted for a split-second before he saw the other body.

Aomaris. Their brother lay dead at Raestrao's feet as well. Uzaeris stared in horror as he saw the messy brown hair, the blank green eyes. A young voice rang in his ears, a memory ...

"Zae! Zae, let's fight! Rae can't take us both." The little demon jumped up without warning, climbing to sit on his narrow shoulders as Uzaeris spun around, trying to stop him.

"Ao!" They were in the castle's courtyard, enjoying some fresh air and taking a break. The servants looked up and shook their heads but Uzaeris didn't care. He was only a year older but his growth hit early, making him almost as tall as Raestrao while Aomaris was still behind. Ao was a little bundle of rage that his older brothers found adorable, answering him with indulgence more often than not, to the little brute's frustration.

"Go get him!" Aomaris' heels kicked his chest to spur him on.

Raestrao was sitting under one of the trees, reading yet another book and pretending not to notice them. There was longing in their older brother's eyes but Father was always so strict with him and the tutors were watching.

"Father will get mad," Uzaeris attempted to explain, trying to pull his brother down off his lanky frame.

"You suck, Zae!" The little demon stood up on his shoulders and kicked him in the side of the head before jumping back down to the ground.

"Mother wishes," Uzaeris chuckled, rubbing his ear. He saw the big green eyes flash in annoyance, small hands fisting on hips. "We could find Zecaeru..." he offered his brother instead.

"He sucks, too! He's just a mama's boy. If you won't fight Rae then I'll fight you!"

Aomaris leapt at him and it was on, the two of them wrestling with laughter and each other. Even Raestrao smiled.