Prologue

Author's Note:

This is an AU fanfic for Michaela Laws' Seduce Me Visual Novel.  A free otome game on Steam and Itchi.o   https://vamichaelalaws.itch.io/seduce-me-the-otome .    If you enjoy the boys and want to romance them, try it for free!  Everything is owned by her and her team, except the parts that suck, that's my bad. 

Cover Art By Vexnir

He had it coming.

The Demon Lord Raestrao sat upon his throne, looking out over the nobles of his court as they drank, danced, and laughed. Like a human he was tall, broad-shouldered, and muscular; a blend of incubus and brute demon with the best of both bloods. Amber stripes swirled and wrapped over his shoulders like a cloak. A thin gold band sat on his brow, resting above the wicked horns curving up from his temples. It proclaimed his royalty as much as his mannerisms, yet couldn't keep the bangs of his black hair out of his eyes.

Raestrao ruled: as he'd been trained, as he was taught, as he learned. He ruled over half of the Abyssal Plains and the throne beside him sat empty.

His amber gaze slid over the nobility, taking in every detail. None approached him. His position was set in stone and no minor actions at such a celebration would sway his preferences towards any of them, one way or another. It was in their best interest to leave him be and play their own petty games. He allowed it, as long as his own initiatives were not compromised. From what he could ascertain, his courtiers were "playing nice" as the humans would put it. A lavender eye flashed in the distance, connecting with his and Raestrao straightened, his shoulders going stiff as he peered towards the back of the room. Several of the closer nobles noticed, quickly moving aside.

He. Wouldn't. Dare. Raestrao could feel the growl growing in the back of his throat and quickly restrained himself. He would not allow his appearance to slip, his discipline to falter. Not even now.

The toss of a head and copper-red bangs slid back to reveal the flash of another gold band, the sidelong gaze meeting Raestrao's. The sly smile froze in place as the "guest" spoke to a group of Ladies of the court before turning away. Innuendos, laughter, and not-so-subtle flirts swirled about the naked incubus as Raestrao watched him. They followed wherever that demon went.

Uzaeris had finally decided to return and pay his brother a visit.

No. He's come to mock me. Raestrao's ire rose, but there was nothing he could do in the midst of this charade. He wouldn't grant his brother the power to break his composure. Over the decades he had learned to wear his own mask, just as Uzaeris always had. Gripping the ornate golden armrest beside him, Raestrao forced himself to relax, to lean back in the chair once more with a semblance of calm. He would wait; he had no doubt.

The Lord of the Kingdom of Lilith would come to him.

*

Damien slid his satchel from his shoulder and sank down to sit back against a tree. He didn't care that the grass was still damp with the morning's dew. This corner of the park was quiet with bushes and trees scattered to give some shade and a sense of being away from the city. Instead, he leaned back and gave a sigh, happy to relax and enjoy the beauty of the sunrise. Reaching into his bag, he pulled out a pen and his small brown leather-bound journal. Just as he did every day, he flipped it open to where he'd marked it with its gold ribbon. Lines of verse from the day before greeted him on the opposite page.

Yesterday was a good day. Today will be, too. A small, white petal blew across his vision to spin and land in his lap. It was late spring and the crab apple blossoms were dropping. Damien gave it a gentle smile and picked it up, to stroke the silky softness. Six years and the human world is still so beautiful. He was doing things he never imagined, learning things he'd never thought he could, with the love and support of his family.

Still alone. His joy turned a little bittersweet.

An elderly gentleman walked past, giving Damien a nod as his beagle chuffed and sniffed the incubus' gym shoe. Animals could see through the glamour that made him appear human. They could see the black stripes on his skin and his curling ram's horns; but to the human, he was just a copper-headed young man in white jeans and a brown leather jacket. Just another "early bird", having his morning coffee in the park; the poet who owned and worked at the neighborhood's used bookstore down the street.

Damien nodded back before the two walked on, savoring the silence. He had finally learned to shield, could finally walk among the humans without being overcome. His ability to read minds still brought difficult situations when it caught him unaware, but for the most part, blocking it had become easier. It definitely made life quieter, but it was still too quiet. Blending in did not bring him the relationship he was looking for. Try as he might, he just wasn't human. He wanted his partner to love him for who he was, an incubus from the Abyssal Plains. A human like that was rare, almost non-existent.

Someone like Mika, he sighed to himself. He was being foolish again, she could never be his. She had found her partner. Still, he let his heart long. Just a little. 

*

Matthew turned his BMW onto the driveway of the Anderson Company, heading past the front doors and into the executive parking lot. His blue Z4 slid smoothly to a halt in his personal spot, the sign designating him as CTO of the prestigious company.

Jumping out, he straightened his suit coat and tie before picking up the white bakery boxes from his passenger seat. He left one with the receptionist and she flashed him a smile, thanking him for the sweet treats before answering the phone. Humming to himself, Matthew made his way to the elevator, poking the up button with a finger before checking himself in the mirror. Looking good. The other two white boxes he left at the coffee station for the executive admins. Poking his nose in the top box, he pulled out one of the blueberry muffins he'd baked the night before and headed for his office. The very best of the treats had gone home in a care package with his girlfriend.

Matthew's eyes gave a brief gold flash, hungry for more than the muffin as he thought of the blonde. The incubus in him wanted to call her for another date tonight. Not yet, he reminded himself. Business before pleasure. He'd grown quite a bit since he'd last seen his brothers: as tall as Sam and almost as strong as Damien. At times, he could tap a maturity not unlike James' if he needed to. His libido... that had also matured, giving him a healthy appetite like his brother Erik. He marveled at how his other brothers had managed to control it. Well, Erik doesn't, he smiled to himself.

Matthew entered his office, the lights coming on automatically as he dropped into his chair and leaned back to kick his feet up. "Alexa, email." he called out before setting his breakfast on a napkin on his desk and licking his fingers clean. The monitors on the wall across from him lit up. His eyes scanned both, checking the list of messages as well as the stock ticker that was always scrolling at the bottom of the screens, showing his investments. Anderson Toys was up another twenty points already, their recent launch a success.

Smiling, he craned his neck to peer out the doorway, making sure his secretary hadn't made it into the office yet. Satisfied that he was alone, he opened his desk drawer, reaching past pens and pencils to pull out a wireless game controller he'd tucked in the back.

"It's only research, right?" He laughed out loud to no one in particular and called up his current video game of choice. Humans make the most wonderful toys, he had to admit.

He was thankful that Mika's grandfather Harold had summoned him and his brothers into the human world, even though Mika herself hadn't chosen any of them for a partner. Damien had been right to want to stay; Matthew loved it here in the human world, too. Grinning and shaking his shaggy black hair back from his bright blue eyes, he started playing.

I'm going to win today, he just had the feeling.