No one needs to be alone.

Uzaeris stood on the balcony of his old room, looking out over what had once been his father's land. At first glance, it didn't look that different from before; but on closer inspection, he could see the subtle changes Raestrao had made, little things to help with the improvement of demon life in his kingdom. Enhanced farming technology and irrigation techniques watered and increased the crop output of the fields below. The common demons, no longer called slaves, had sandals on their feet as they walked and backpacks or carts to help carry their loads. The land was becoming self-sustaining once more. There would be no need to conquer for resources.

Such change. No, such comforts. They wouldn't have been possible in his father's time. No one would have cared enough to try and make it happen. A piece of James' heart must have managed to survive, a shadow of what his eldest brother had once been before Raestrao chose his path.

Uzaeris shifted against the stone railing, lifting his head into the moonlight. His red hair fell back from his eyes, giving him a clear view of the star-scattered sky. Over a thousand miles away, his own kingdom continued as it always had, following the ways of Lilith. He knew he should go back, but something had drawn him here: an energy that sparked now and again.

Is Raestrao finally playing with his magic? No, it didn't carry his brother's signature. It was something more, something that lapped against Uzaeris' senses. Ripples of waves sent out in search of... What? He forced himself to remain still, to calm himself with every bit of his discipline. The strength of it only increased when he entered the castle, the frequency picking up, both at an alarming rate.

What is it?

Taking a deep breath, he waited, thinning his shields purposefully. It was a danger here in his brother's kingdom, but he still held out that Raestrao wouldn't kill him. Not yet.

More time passed and Uzaeris leaned down on his hands, hanging his head. Where is it? He was frustrated, agitated. His body was itchy and wanting, though he'd had his fill siphoning energy off the nobles in the throne room. An incubus, his nudity was standard attire to arouse the desire in those he passed. It let him select the choicest to draw into his bed and feast upon. The act of sex was a means to an end to his hunger. But this...

Suddenly the power danced over his skin again. Stronger, it lit his lavender eyes with gold and brushing his curled horns like a lover's caress. His body responded, as it only had for one. One from his past that was only a faint dream now.

Could it be?!

Uzaeris wasn't ready for the next pulse, following so close. The shiver of its approach hit him and this time, this time it was a wave of power that crashed over him. It pulled him under, plunging him into a depth of energy he never thought he'd feel again as it broke completely through.

It is her.

Uzaeris' eyes snapped open and he pushed himself up off the railing to stand up straight, gasping for air as if he were drowning. His eyes sparked magenta, his magic greeting the other and pulling it in, along with the memory of soft lips and innocent green eyes. Shields down, the wards of the castle crackled at the edges of his senses, but it was only a background to the energy that enveloped him. It resonated with him and within him, invisible to all but those who had touched it before.

Mika. Uzaeris lifted a hand, feeling the power gather to him. It spiraled about him, awaiting his command. But how? Ezaeur drained you. She fueled your wish, binding your perfect life with your power. You shouldn't have any magic left.

The spell had been huge; it took the succubus months to weave it. Ezaeur even broke the spell's focus when Mika became engaged to Andrew. The girl's energy should have been fulfilling her wish, locking her magic away for her lifetime. Yet here it was, crossing between their worlds to find him.