Chapter 13: No way out

Gracie's heart pounded against her rib cage, threatening to burst out. Salty droplets of tears splashed across the sooty floor, hushed sobs bouncing across the large walls. Her knuckles were painted white as she gripped her favourite guitar pic with so much force her hands were left with deep red marks etched into her skin.

This can't be happening she thought, as she gingerly stroked a soft strand of Mary's hair. Gracie couldn't focus on anything in the chaotic environment surrounding her; all she cared about was her best friend. Her mouth became exceedingly parched and a ringing noise imbued her ears. 

Behind her rose a body that had been sprawled upon the ground. But not just any body; the living embodiment of betrayal.

***

Darren simpered as he watched Gracie mourn over her soulmates' death. He was slightly startled when he felt a vibration from his back pocket. He answered the phone;

"Darren," the voice on the other end crooned. 

"Yes?" Darren responded, smirking.

"Is it done? Have you done it?"

"No...not yet," Mr Byrd tacitly paced behind Gracie, inspecting his fingernails with full knowledge that the girl would not see or even hear him. 

"Well, are you going to do it? You know you won't get your money if you don't!" The voice snapped, thickly coated with arrogance.

"Yes, Mrs Hunter, i'm working on it. After all, I've got her trapped," he reassured. "But," he continued, "I need you to call some backup."

***

After a while, Gracie gained back her senses, just in time to hear what sounded like a large van approaching the building. The rusty door screeched open, screaming with age, and light flooded in, revealing two prodigious men, bobbing their heads down in order to enter through the door. 

"Wh-who are you...what are you doing-" The elephantine men grabbed Gracie and plonked her onto a chair, securely tying her down. Gracie wriggled back and forth like a worm, however, with one thick finger the man managed to push her down. 

"LET ME GO!" She shrieked, water now cascading down her sweaty cheeks, highly resembling an indestructible, gushing waterfall. 

The men then lifted up Mary and tossed her to the side as if she were merely a toy. Gracie's head hung low as if the life were taken out of her. 

"Boys," Darren spoke, "get the camera." 

A/N

Thank you for 284 READS!!! What are your predictions? What did you think of this chapter?

The song in this chapter is 'Dream On' by Aerosmith <3

Don't forget to vote and comment your opinion; it means a lot XD