Chapter 1: Gracie Hunter

This is a story partially based and inspired by my life experiences and the society we live in. It may include swearing throughout the story. Please enjoy!

Gracie Hunter. That was the name I was given when I was physically thrust into this world.
My parents loved me, but that was back when I was a child, an innocent fit of giggles and wonder.

Now that I have a personality, they expect me to "fit in". I never knew what that meant. They made me feel like I had some sort of problem, that I wasn't fit for this world.

I stared into the mirror, my reflection staring back as cocoa coils curved around my face, shaping my intricate complexion. My viridescent orbs stared straight through to my soul, as I slightly bobbed my head to the charming melody of music, whisking me away from my somber reflection.

As I bobbed my head up and down, my curls bounced in similar fashion to a spring, uncontrollably bounding towards different directions. The rock music drowned out my thoughts, leaving me a state of bliss and laughter.

I love rock. So does my best friend Mary. We love a lot of things. Sometimes I feel like it's just me and her against the world.

"GRACE!" My mother's ear-splitting shriek unfortunately ended my indistinct dance party as it echoed through the house- I assumed it was time for school.

"Coming mother!" I called back, as I hastily packed my bag and shoved my phone in my pocket, sweeping my door closed as I ran out.

"Bye mum!" My response was clearly not enough for my mother, as her profile darkened and she stuck out her index finger whilst wiggling it, in order for me to obey her and return.

I breathed a sigh and walked back, head down.
"Do it." She barked, folding her arms over her wide torso, elevating her tattooed eyebrow so much that it had a dangerously high chance of falling straight of her face. I reluctantly kneeled down, bowing, subsequently leading to me hugging her, with her retaliating with:
"Good girl, now have a good day sweetie."
I nodded and bolted out the entrance to my house.

I shook my head at the dumb new rule I had to conduct each day before leaving to school, as of which I glanced at the time, realising I had less than four minutes to arrive at school. I sprinted, thrusting one leg out after the other, taking me as fast as my legs could physically propel me. I felt the blood pounding throughout my body, up to my head, closing my eyes to breath in fresh air as I finally-

"Hey watch it!" Excruciating pain surged through my head as I whipped open my eyes, revealing a girl about the same height as me. Her blonde hair glistened in the sunlight, shifting to a gold tone, as it flew back from the wind, uncovering a beautiful face featuring light skin with bright hazel eyes, filled with a wonder and delight I would recognise anywhere. My lips stretched to a smile as I threw my arms around her. She laughed back and we both stood there laughing and giggling like little children.

"Mary! I was almost late!" I exclaimed, my cheeks aching from laughter, and my breaths finally slowing down.
"I missed you!" Maryanne Hail was my all-time best friend, and we've been ever since the first day of school. In fact, we were the only ones that hadn't completed the homework.
*DING DING DING*
The deafening bell separated us as we clambered to our first class.

"Heyyy Grace! We f***ing missed you soo much, right?!" Tiffany declared, eyeing all of her other friends, patiently waiting for them to respond. However, they continued to pamper themselves, dust and perfume wafting through the air, blinding me and sending Mary into phase of aggressive coughing.

"Yeah, okay bye," I blurted, as I dragged Mary to our class.
"How do they still think that we're friends?!" I quizzed to myself out loud, ignoring the fact that I knew my mother wanted them to be my friends.

"Good morning everyone! I hope we are all ready to learn, because we have a lot to do today!" Ms Crayfield urged on, attempting to encourage us to learn yet again. The back of the class was practically a salon - all of the "popular girls" took a seat there, snickering and filing their nails, as they ignored the teacher and proceeded to gossip and groom themselves like a group of mother hens and ducks. We resumed our task from yesterday that our teacher had assigned us.
"Psst, Mary!" I whispered, trying to obtain only her attention and no one else's. Unfortunately, my voice wavered through the air, all the way to the back of the room.
"Ooh naughty Gracie, passing notes?"
"Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you'd gotten enough attention as a child?" I retorted, turning to fist pump Mary with a cheeky grin.
"Get back to work!" Ms Crayfield demanded, shooting everyone a daring-do look.
"If you don't complete it, it's homework!"
The class let out a synchronised sigh of complaint and agony.

The day continued to drag on tediously, as eventually the bell signalled it was ultimately the end of the day. Mary and I said farewell as I  found my way home, frowning all the while. Before I entered, I had just remembered that I was gonna watch one of my favourite horror movies with Mary!

I rushed inside, instantaneously deafened by the vile rap and pop music, blasting my eardrums. My dad stood in front of me, a deep frown plastered across his face, his wrinkles naturally forming his face to rest in a disappointed position.

"Oh, hi dad," I muttered, making my way around him. He gripped my shoulder and turned me around, facing me to his solemn face.

"What is this?" He queried, pointing to the full sink of dishes piling on each other, grime leaking through each plate as the staggering tower stood taller than ever. I knew what he was referring to, however he did not break eye contact whatsoever, his globes staring deep into mine, as it sent chills down my spine.

"It's a sink with dishes," I responded, trying not to blink.
"You wanna play smart? Go clean it. Now!"
I furrowed my brows as I tried to make out what he said, over the thunderous music. However, he didn't repeat his demand. I shrugged and walked to mum,
"Hey, can I meet up with Mary?!"
"Wha?!" Her hands signalled that she couldn't hear me. Thankfully, she turned down the horrid music in order to reply.
"Mmm, do you have homework?"
"No."
"I don't know.... what about Tiffany? She's nice!"
"Actually.. I do have homework! Gotta go!" I retreated to my room to complete my homework before I would get detention from Ms Crayfield. When I eventually completed it, I began watching a movie on my phone. I thought I heard footsteps to my room before.....

A/N
What do you think of the story! I am excited to start this, let me know your thoughts in the comments and all votes would be appreciated! Thanks 😆