Chapter 7: The escape

CLACK.

Shit. I've been throwing rocks for about 5 minutes now, and if Mary doesn't respond, I would have to go inside. I'd never leave without her. I'd be too scared to.

I looked up and grinned as I saw curtains being drawn back to reveal the weary face of my friend. She reluctantly opened her eyes and immediately smiled when she saw me. I smiled back.

"Pack your bags!" I beckoned, just loud enough for Maryanne to hear me. She grinned and knew this time would come, grabbing her pre-packed bag, but soon her face was taken over by nothing but worry. She ran out to her balcony and began whisper-yelling to me:

"Wait why are we leaving now?!" She demanded, carefully keeping her voice low. Even though it was dark, I could see her orbs glittering with panic, exposed to the cool night air as wind blew her long hair back, making her seem like some sort of mythical Goddess. I smiled yet again.

"I'll tell you later," I responded, urging her to come down. She nodded her head and grabbed her bag, making her way over the edge.

"Be careful!" I said, not daring to raise my voice any higher. She bobbed her head again and cautiously descended down the metal grid covered walls, sharp pieces sticking out as if they were threatening to stab her. My hand instinctively reached up towards my mouth, and soon bite marks were visible on my tight knuckles. She was almost at the bottom.

Mary looked back in order to reassure me and her foot slipped off of a stone, sending her leg across a sharp piece of metal. I gasped and sprinted over to her, as she dropped to the ground. Tears spilled out of her eyes as she attempted to stand, and I put her arm around me. I put her bag on my back, along with my own, and as we started walking together my face grew hot. She gasped out and winced in pain, and so did I. It really does hurt when your friend is in pain, I thought, as I felt tears sting my eyes.

"Where..are we going?" Mary wheezed, as we made our way onto the streets. I was about to answer her question when I spotted an abandoned shopping trolley, and my tired arms instantly agreed with the brilliant plan that had formed in my mind.

----------------------------------------------------*~*--------------------------------------------------

I had wrapped wrapped a tight piece of cloth around Mary's deep scar that ran from her thigh, down to her calve. We were now giggling, as I pushed the shopping trolley containing her and our bags across the street. I navigated my way until we had reached our special hideout; the tree-house. We went there when we wanted to meet up and be alone - away from the world.

After a few minutes of screeching wheels and pushing around, we finally arrived at our first destination.

"Stay here for a bit," I instructed, as I threw both bags over my shoulder and ascended the vine-covered trunk. I placed them at the top and went back down; getting Mary up would be just a bit of a struggle.

"C-can you help me get up there?" Mary asked, pushing her self out of the cart.

"Of course! Here let me just-" I helped her out of the trolley and we walked over to the discoloured ladder. I let her go first and I supported her injured leg. Together, we made it to the top followed by a sigh of relief. We laid there panting for a few minutes, until Mary broke out into giggles. I was about to ask her what she was laughing about when I started chuckling with her.

 Next thing I knew, we were simply laying there, laughing as if nothing was wrong. As if we had no problems. As if we were the only people in the world. I never wanted this feeling to end, but I got up as my stomach was already aching. I started laying out mats that we kept in our tree-house, as well as a few old blankets and pillows. I took off the cloth on Mary's leg and replaced it with the bandages I took from home. we both eventually settled, listening to the calming sound of crickets. Out of the window, I saw stars glinting in an everlasting black sea above the two of us.

"Gracie," Mary's voice was soothing and it filled the air with a comforting sweetness.

"Yea?" I asked, turning my body to face her.

"We did it. We escaped; we're free." A smile spread across both of our faces and I turned to look at the stars again, feeling my cheeks burn with heat. The cool air filled my lungs as I opened my mouth to speak:

"We sure did. Let's prove those sons of b****es wrong," I replied, closing my heavy eyes. We slept for a peaceful moment Alone, Together, as if there were no problems in the world. It felt like this is where I belonged; on the run, constantly rebelling anyone and anything - we didn't need anyone else to keep ourselves alive. We took in the moment, but it was soon over as sunlight blasted my eyes. I got up and looked out the window, to my horror, only to see...

A/N

THANK. YOU. SO. MUCH. FOR. 152 READS!!!!! I literally couldn't be more happier! It means soo much to me, and thank you for supporting me. It would be great if you commented your thoughts; especially if you're a silent reader; what do you think she saw? What do you think will happen next? The song attached is Keep Yourself Alive by Queen - one of my favourites! And, if any of you noticed, Alone, Together is a Strokes reference - I just had to!!😂 Please point out any mistakes and again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!