Chapter 6

The quiet alarm startled Gracie, but her lips curled into an excited grin. She shut of the alarm as the bright screen displayed '2:01' am. She swiftly got out of her bed, stuffing pillows under her covers in order to make it seem as if she was still sleeping. Gracie had to keep covering her mouth as giggles threatened to escape; she couldn't let anyone find out what she was doing. The thought of running away made her smile even more, and she couldn't stop her heart from beating faster than ever before. 

She slowly unzipped her back-pack and began packing useful things. Inside she put; a torch, a spare set of clothes, a bundle of bandages, a lighter she had taken from the kitchen draw, the money her mother had given her, a rope (she figured it might come in handy), a small pocket knife and her precious guitar pic. Some would have laughed at that, as they would think she is a professional air-guitar player, with just a pic to suffice her stolen instrument. However, she tightly hugged the small object before stashing it in the bag. She then made her way to the kitchen, avoiding any creaking tiles on the floor. She groaned in despair as she realised the cupboard door was not only closed, but it was creaky, too. Nevertheless, she would have to risk it. 

She cringed as the CREAAAAAAAK  filled the house's silence. Her eyes worriedly flashed about, before her arm promptly darted inside of the cupboard, grabbing canned and packed foods. Her arm reached for the fruit bowl on the table and she grabbed apples, bananas and oranges. Her feet led her back into the room as she plopped her bag on the floor. She was ready to go, except her eyes widened when she heard a loud groan come from her parents' room - someone must have heard the creaky door.

Gracie heard a door open followed by heavy footsteps - her father's.  She had assumed that he saw the open cupboard door, as the steps neared towards her room. She stashed her bag inside of her closet, unseen by anybody, and dashed to her bed. By the time she was nestled in the covers, her bedroom door opened and her eyes tightly shut. 

"Gracie?" A deep, chilling voice spoke. "Gracie. I know you're awake," her father said, and he took a few steps closer.

"Gracie!" He ripped the covers off of Gracie and she shivered, and her eyes fluttered open. 

"D-dad? What is it?" She muttered, a croaky voice coming from her throat, as she hadn't talked for a long time.

"I know you took some food. Now don't lie to me, or there will be consequences." Gracie heard her father's words and decided not to lie; it was only going to get her in a worse place. She tried to stay calm, and she was surprised at how confident her voice came out:

"Fine," she sighed, "I was so hungry that I couldn't sleep, but I won't do it again, I promise."

"Well, what a good girl you are for telling the truth. But you stole some food, and that deserves a punishment," he said, his thick voice coated in anger. Gracie gasped in disbelief; she had told the truth, and yet she would still get punished?! She tightly shut her eyes, preventing her from crying; tears wanted to escape just as desperately as she wanted to.

Gracie waited for some form of pain from her father, but she looked up and was surprised. 

"I'll be waiting for you today," he stated, as he walked over to the window and locked it with a key. He waved it in the air and grinned; a sickening smile that made his eyes twinkle. He walked over to the door and said;

"Sweet dreams, you little f***er," before locking the door. 

Gracie sobbed; this was it, she was trapped and she had no escape. She desperately went over to the window and began tugging at it, as if it would magically open. She tried her door again, but it wouldn't budge. Her brows furrowed as she felt heat flood her cheeks. She would not let her father control her life; she would escape, and she would escape today. She furiously snatched a paper and pen and began writing. She stamped it on her desk and grabbed her pocket knife. 

The window cracked open as Gracie jabbed her knife into it. It began breaking away and she continued to stab and crack it. Blood began running down her fingers, but she didn't care. She grabbed her bag and crawled through the window that slowly cut at her clothes and left thin lines of red marked upon her clothes and skin.

Fresh air filled her lungs as she squinted in order to see in the darkness. Stars still painted the sky and she looked back to her room to see that her note lay on the floor. It read:

"Goodbye everybody, I've got to go. Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth." She smiled, as she had fooled her parents and left them nothing but a mere Queen reference. She climbed over the fence and dropped down on the other side, onto the peaceful street. 

White, blaring lamp-posts stood out and filled the streets, giving Gracie strong Exorcist vibes. She smiled again and set off on her journey towards her friend's house, ready to face any obstacle that came her way.

A/N

Thanks you soo much for 98 reads!! I am SO happy! Don't forget to vote, and all you silent readers, please comment so that I know your thoughts! What do you think will happen next? Let me know any of your thoughts and suggestions in the comments! The song in this chapter is 'I Want To Break Free' by Queen! (Happy birthday to Freddie Mercury for the other day!!) I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thanks again love you all!