Chapter 12: Why her?

Steaming tears raced down my face as the bitter wind whipped at my face. I didn't know where I was going; anywhere away from that psychopath.

I came to an immediate halt; I couldn't leave Mary there. The street was eerily quiet as only cricket chirps echoed across the pavements. I looked up to see the moon glared down at me, along with the billions of stars tattooed upon the sky.

I calmed down and begun to to sing; it normally helped me calm down.

"...come as you are, as you were, as I want you to be..." I sat down at a bench and continued humming, rapidly thinking.

I needed to find out what that man wanted, and what he's going to do to us. My hand instinctively reached for the guitar pic which had not remained in my pocket. My heart rate accelerated and I shot up off of the seat.

I picked up a piece of metal that had been broken off of a children's playground and began marching. Even if I didn't make it, one thing was for sure; I had to go back.

***

The door had a big, rusty lock, stopping me from entering. I couldn't just break it like they do in the movies. So instead, I knocked.

"Hello," I simply said, knowing that he would recognise my voice. The door was wrenched open and I was poised to strike.

I swung the heavy metal piece across like a baseball bat, making certain impact with a large object. I then heard a loud groan as someone staggered across the floor.

"Gracie.." I sprinted over to the middle of the room, where Mary was tied up to a chair, soaked in blood. I frantically began untying her until she was free.

I spotted a near-by whip and raced to retrieve it, when I heard a familiar 'click'.

I spun around and there stood Darren, a gun held within his large, grimy hands.

"What do you want?!" I cried, more tears spilling out of my eyes. He chuckled to himself and grinned. Sicko.

"I need you." He responded, alternating his gun targets from me to Mary.

"Well why don't you ju-" Mary quickly stood up and startled Darren, causing him to shoot.

"NO!" I was by Mary's side, as she had dropped to the floor. Blood soaked into my clothes but I didn't care. This couldn't be happening.

"Gracie..." Mary faintly smiled, looking up at me.

"I...I love.." her eyes closed and she sighed, clutching her stomach. Her eyes fluttered and her breathing slowed down.

This couldn't be happening.