Chapter 10: The coast ain't clear

The two friends took a step outside, finally exiting the grimy handicapped bathroom. Their features had changed almost completely, however, they still remained hidden underneath the safety of their hoods, as well as covered by the cool darkness of night.

The pair exchanged a feverish glance as they spotted a restaurant, the mouth-watering smell dancing through the air, as it escaped through an open window.

They scampered towards the eating house and casually made their way inside, as the sudden bustling sound of clinking cutlery and laughter drowned out their rumbling stomachs.
"May I help you?" A waiter asked them, wrinkles painting her forehead as she impatiently raised her eyebrows.

"Um, a table for two thanks," Gracie replied, gripping her wallet, of which she was too scared to keep in her bag. The waiter led them to a table near the back, where it was somewhat quieter, with only an adult man occupying the surrounding tables and the talk on the tv. He eyed them as they walked to their tables, and Mary looked down nervously. The waiter scurried away as the two friends took a seat, avoiding eye contact with the man near them.

Half an hour later, the girls were wolfing down their food as if it was the last day on Earth. Their passionate feast was interrupted by the strident sounding tv, of which was suddenly turned up.
"...two missing girls, aged 15 have gone missing reported by their parents. Here is the opinion on Mrs Hunter;"
"Oh, my poor girl, she had gone missing today, and i'm so worried for her..." she wailed, whilst brushing away an invisible tear.
"And now back to..." the news reporter trailed off to another article.

"What a fake b****!" Gracie kept her voice low, however it was still coated with icy rage.
"I know! I can't-"
"Excuse me," Mary whipped around only to see the man that was sitting next to them had spoke.
"Uhh..hi?" Mary replied, trying to avoid meeting the strangers eyes. She and Gracie switched confused looks with each other.
"I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, but I couldn't help but overhear your conversation," The man stated, his voice unnaturally low and cool.

"I was wondering if you two needed help? To escape, I mean." Mary and Gracie turned to each other and huddled around the table, whispering.
"Oh my goodness, i'm so sorry, I forgot to introduce myself, where are my manners? Call me Darren."

"What does he want from us?" Gracie asked, suspiciously eyeing the man.
"Even if we do let him help us, how do we know we can trust him?"
"I know your secret," the man interrupted their hushed conversation. The two girls stared at him. He then continued;
"I know you two are on the run...and that your parents are looking for you." The girls' faces were horrified, however they softened when the man gestured towards the tv, as they remembered that they had been mentioned on the news.

"I was going to alert the police, however..." The man scratched his head and grinned.
"I figured I might as well help." The pair exchanged reluctant looks, only to be interrupted again;
"Unless you want me to tell them?" He bribed, and the girls vigorously shook their heads.
"Good, then I will meet you outside in ten minutes," He solemnly instructed, before he got up and made his way outside.

"What do we do?!" Mary frantically asked, her eyes shining with worry.
"Well, we have no choice. If we don't go, he'll call the cops. Besides, he might even be able to help us," Gracie accepted, as she finished off her meal.

***

"Hello, Darren Byrd speaking." Chapped lips answered the phone, a frantic voice on the other end.
"Yes, I've found them," he answered, rubbing his chin. He nodded his head and smiled;
"Of course, I will get them both, I assure you. I've already got them to come outside after they eat." He paused, listening to the responding voice on the cell-phone.
"Yes. Oh, they're coming. How much money would I get?" He paused again, a sickening, evil grin spreading across his face.
"Beautiful. Alright, bye." He shut off the phone in one swift movement and stood outside, hands behind back, almost too formally.

"How are you going to help us?" Mary asked, placing her hands on her hips.
"I know somewhere safe you can stay," the man replied, urging them to follow him.

After a few minutes of walking, they arrived at some sort of warehouse.
"What are we-" Gracie was cut off by her best friends shriek. The man had grabbed her arm and now suddenly reached out for Gracie. She screamed and tried to struggle, however her strength was nothing compared to the man's death grip. He jerked them inside of the building, barely struggling to keep them both under his indestructible grasp.

Mary managed to wriggle her way out, but the man threw a punch towards her head, making inviolable contact with her delicate skin, knocking her out unconscious.
"NO!" Gracie gave a long piercing cry and kicked the man towards his lower regions, and he buckled over.

"Mary! MARY!!" Gracie strenuously shook her friends shoulders, yelling at her to wake up. It had been so long before the man staggered towards them, Mary's eyes finally fluttering open.

"Gracie, you have to go," Mary wheezed, as she saw the man approach Gracie from behind her.
"No! I can't leave you! I'd rather stay here and die!" Gracie cried.
"No, I mean he's BEHIND YOU!"

The following scene went by in a blur, quicker than Gracie could comprehend what was actually happening. The man leapt for Gracie, missing as she dodged, however he landed straight onto Mary with a yelp. She urged Gracie to leave, and she had no other choice. Mary had a better chance of surviving if Gracie left, meaning the man would still have to capture her.

Gracie scampered out, her eyes burning from tears. She screamed in protest as the door slammed and locked.
Then, she ran.

A/N
HAHA another cliffhanger😁

Thanks you for 224 reads!!! Don't forget to comment your thoughts and opinions. And don't forget to vote! The song featured it Out Ta Get Me by Guns N Roses❤️❤️ Thanks for everything!!