Chapter 9: Time to blend in

The bus lurched forward and Mary and I watched the filthy blue car fade off into the distance. Why didn't they follow us? I didn't know. In fact, it was the last thing that I expected them to do. It was this that was running through my head when I felt the sudden tap on my shoulder.

"Huh? Wha?" I blabbered.

"Hey, when are we getting off the bus?" Mary quizzed with worried eyes. I stammered before realising that the bus had stopped.

"D-do you want to get off now?" Mary nodded in agreement and we hastily gathered our things before abruptly standing up and calling "Wait!"

We scampered to the front with all eyes glued on us, and I gave the bus driver a sympathetic smile that was returned with nothing but a disgusted look.

We hopped off of the bus, taking in our environment. We seemed to be surrounded by small stores and little markets that filled up an overall peaceful street. A faded motel sign flickered green, signifying that there were vacant rooms available. I saw my guitar pic tumble out of my pocket, followed by a clatter that caught Mary's attention. I rapidly retrieved the pic and clutched it tightly in my hand.

"You still have that pic?" Mary giggled with bright, loving eyes.

"Yup," I grinned, recalling back three and a half years ago when she had given it to me. I had kept it safe with me ever since.

A store a few blocks down caught my eye; a lurid sign read "Get Your New Look Today!" I glanced at Mary as an idea ran through my mind.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"Mary queried whilst cocking her head to the side.

"Well, we have to have some sort of disguise.."

*********

Before we knew it, Mary and I were browsing through the store, items in hand. We had collected all of the things we needed in order to disguise ourselves; to become someone else. As we walked up to the counter, I pulled my hoodie over my face and Mary did the same. As it went over my head, my heart sped up. I was nervous, but excited. It felt good to finally be free, out of the hands of my stupid parents, the law, and anything holding me back from being who I am and who I want to be.

"That'll be $27.99." I pulled out my cash, careful not to show any of it to her, and gave her a $50 dollar note.

"Where are you two off two?" The lady asked as she rustled around in the drawer, her perfectly manicured nails scraping against the coins.

"Uh.we're going to see..um our family," I mumbled, keeping my head down.

"Oh, what family do you have?" Why did this lady want to know everything?

"It's none of your-"

"Cousins. We've got lots of cousins near this area, down a few streets and our parents allowed us to travel by bus," Mary spoke confidently, and the lady nodded and gave us our change. Before she could ask anymore questions we turned around.

"Okay, well have fun and be safe!" The lady grinned, exposing white, pearly teeth that had been hidden beneath bold red lips. I gave Mary a smile and whispered "Nice save!" as we made our way out of the store.

Nearby was a park which was inhabited by a small playground, a barbeque underneath a shelter next to two grey blocks of concrete which were supposedly the toilets. We walked to the restrooms and went inside of the handicapped.

"No time to wait," I said, grabbing the bag and pulling out a pair of scissors. Clenching my hair, I stared at myself in the mirror. Well, I thought, this is what I've always wanted, right? It's now or never.

SNIP!

I gasped at the large amount of hair that fell into the sink. Big, brown locks flew down peacefully, and I immediately felt lighter.

"Oh my god...." I heard Mary whisper, which made me shut my eyes. I didn't want to look.

"It's..your..it looks..different." At those words, I slowly opened my eyes and almost choked on thin air.

When I looked in the mirror, only a stranger gazed back. Brown curls tumbled down no further than my jaw, exposing much more of my face.

"It looks good!" I heard Mary say and turned around to see her smiling.

"T-thanks," I replied, reaching out to brush my fingers through the wavy mess. At least it was long enough to whip back and forth when jamming out to music, hah.

"Now it's your turn," I grinned, handing her the scissors and flushing my hair down the toilet.

Mary tied her hair in a ponytail and simply snipped it off, holding up her tied hair like a golden medal.

"How do I look?" She smiled, taking a step towards the mirror. She looked....beautiful. Her blondish hair seemed to glint shades of pure gold, even in the old rusty light of a public bathroom. Her hair curved around her face and I brushed a strand behind her ear. It was an awkward silence for a few moments until Mary pulled out something from the bag. It was hair-dye and contacts.

After about an hour we had completely disguised ourselves; I had short brown, curly hair with brown eyes (contacts were put in to cover my natural green ones), and Mary had short straight hair that she had highlighted brown. However, we still chucked our hoodies over, in order to enter the dangerous, real world.

A/N

THANKS FOR 192 READS!❤️
How are you liking the story so far?! Have any thoughts/comments or suggestions let me know!! Thanks for all the support!! Also, the song in this chapter is called Beast Of Burden by the Rolling Stones; it's a great song, I love it! Again, thanks for the reads and don't forget to vote!