Chapter 7

Hayley and I walked into one of the rooms that had chairs,
Sophie said" You can't go out there now. I need to gather the witches' remains and consecrated them. If I don't get to them before sundown, we lose the link to their magic."
Uncle Nik said" Those witches tried to kill Hayley. I prefer for Marcel's informant not to find anything that would lead him back to us, to her, or to, you know, that."
Hayley said" You are all class."
" Stay put and save the rest of your story till I return." He walked out, I looked up at Hayley.

Aunt Rebekah lifted me up onto her hip and sped out, I looked at her, then realized Hayley was bound to follow Sophie.
We got to the witch's place,
Aunt Rebekah said" Could you two be more idiotic? Two can play the following game, you know. You heard Klaus. He and Marcel are heading right where you're going."
Hayley said" So distract them because unless you want to lock a hormonal, pregnant werewolf in a tomb, I'm coming with you, and wouldn't Elijah be mad if he hears that the baby and I died of asphyxiation?" I looked at Aunt Rebekah, Hayley had a point.

We got to the bayou, Aunt Rebekah called Uncle Nik, I was walking in front of Hayley.
We were deep in now,
Aunt Rebekah said" So this harvest thingy, tell me more."
Sophie said" Klaus said to wait."
" Yes. He also said to stay out of the bayou, and yet here we are amongst the crawly, buzzy creatures."
Hayley said" We're here. Whoa." She walked to a track, and then claw mark in the tree.
Sophie said" Is that a wolf track?" Then we heard someone,
Aunt Rebekah said" Who's there?" A man came out,
He said" What the hell? An Original?" He sped off, I looked at Hayley and Aunt Rebekah, uh oh. I held onto Hayley's hand, looking around, Aunt Rebekah called Uncle Nik, and then sped off. Hayley sighed then looked at me,
I said" I guess you're watching me."
She said" Yep, I am." She ruffled my hair, I smiled at her," Go, get away from this, you're too young to be around this stuff."
" I'm the son to an Original vampire, and a hybrid of witch and vampire, I'll see plenty of blood in my days."
" Yeah, I'm sure you will, but today... you will not, go play somewhere, stay in sight." I nodded and ran off, a few ways back but still able to see Hayley, I looked around then caught scent of something. I sniffed the air and followed it, I found a creature, I crouched down and looked at it.
I whispered" Hi, I'm Peter. What's your name?"
Hayley said" Peter, where are- Oh, what're you looking at?"
" I don't know." She looked at me then crouched down," What is it?"
" That's a rabbit, you know... uh, a bunny?"
" Uncle 'Lijah never taught me about this... he only taught me about the supernatural, and math... and how to speak and stuff."
" Oh. Well, that's a rabbit."
" Does it bite?"
" Uh, yeah, it does."
" Like me?"
" No, no. It's just an animal, it bites to defend itself."
" Does it eat humans?"
" No, no, no. It's a herbivore."
" What's that?"
" It eats plants, not meat."
" What's a meat eater called?"
" A carnivore."
" Like me?"
" Uh... not really."
" Then what's a carnivore?"
" Uh... Lions, tigers... wolves."
" Then you're a carnivore."
" No, I'm an omnivore, like you."
" What's an omnivore?"
" Something that eats both meat and plants."
" Then what's a blood drinker called?"
" A vampire."
" Oh."
" Peter, do you drink blood?"
" Only if I get sick, Uncle Lijah had to give me some when I got sick on the way to New Orleans. It heals me."
" Okay, good to know."
" But he says when I get older, I'll have to drink it more often, since it helps with my powers."
" Okay." I yawned, rubbing my eyes, she smiled,
" Bye-bye, bunny." She lifted me into her arms and I laid my head on her shoulder.

Once we got back home, I was sitting between Aunt Rebekah and Hayley, watching them.
Aunt Rebekah said" I don't care if we have to get you a leash. That was your last trip to the bayou. What is it with you and those wolves, anyway?"
Hayley said" I feel like we're connected somehow. I don't know. Maybe it's just some pipe dream that I have of finding any real family out there, but sometimes when I feel like it's me against the world, it keeps me going." Aunt Rebekah handed her a glass,
" Oh, right." She drank it," Well, if you ask me, family is a pain in the behind, and as for being in it alone, how dare you? I don't ruin a perfectly fabulous pair of boots traipsing through the bayou for just anyone." Uncle Nik finally came in," Nik, finally. What-" then Uncle Lijah came in, he smiled at her, she ran in him, hugging him tightly," Oh, Elijah... you're safe." Hayley looked at him, then pushed back some of her hair, I smiled then watched Uncle Lijah stare at her as she walked out." Now that you're home, is your first plan to kill Niklaus?"
Uncle Lijah said" Excuse me." He kissed her head," Just a moment." He walked away, following Hayley outside to the porch.
" Where's he going?"

We all gathered in one of the rooms, this place has like a billion of them, some for no reason.
Uncle Lijah said" Everything that brought us here to New Orleans was a lie... This story that Sophie Deveraux fabricated, this struggle for control of the French Quarter, this war between vampires and witches, wasn't over territory at all. This was over Davina. 8 months ago, Sophie Deveraux and her sister Jane-Anne lost everything. Now, 4 months after that, a young, pregnant girl wanders into their restaurant. Suddenly, all hope is renewed. Jane-Anne actually sacrificed her life so that her sister could use you to find Davina. If Sophie Deveraux is successful in capturing Davina, she can return Jane-Anne's daughter back to life. We thought we'd come here to wage a war for power. This is about family. In order to return her niece to life, Sophie Deveraux will fight to the death. That makes her more dangerous than anyone."

Uncle Lijah carried me to my bed,
He said" Were you good for your Aunt Rebekah?"
I said" I mainly stayed with Hayley, Aunt Rebekah and Uncle Nik were too busy chasing after Marcel." Uncle Nik leaned against the door,
He said" No, I was not."
" How many times have I tripped over the carpets?"
" Uh... 7 times."
" 15, Hayley helped me patch my burned knees."
" Nonsense." He walked away, with a sigh,
Uncle Lijah said" Well, what have you learned in my absence?"
I said" Hayley taught me what rabbits are, we saw one in the woods when they went to see the witches' bodies, and I almost died, but the rabbit was amazing. Hayley-"
" Hold on, you almost died?"
" Yeah, when Hayley and I went to see a bayou baby doctor, but the doctor seemed to be evil, and we had to run away. I don't remember details but Hayley told me to hide and then I was thrown into a tree and everything went black..."
" Rebekah."
Aunt Rebekah said" Oh, it's nothing, Elijah, he made it out in one piece, tough like his mother."
" I suppose. But now bed time." He tucked me in, rubbing my head and walking out.
" Goodnight, darling, sleep well." Aunt Rebekah turned out the lights and I fell asleep.