Chapter 8- Saved By The Clown

I bet you could hear the bones clattering a mile away. I really hate these guys. Almost impossible to kill, I remember when we found Nico De Angelo and Bianca, they were the only ones who defeated them. I pull out my dagger, and remember the time Bianca killed one by stabbing it right in the chest. Maybe I could have her luck for once. I hear the skeleton clattering near by, and just like that, he sweeps my legs out from under me and I fall to the ground, my knife skidding the other direction.

"Annabeth!" Daniel cries and starts to rush toward me.

"No, stop Daniel! Go home. I can handle this." I say, suddenly wincing in pain.

"I can't leave you like this!"

and for once, Daniel sounded serious and worried. He charges the skeleton, and crushes it on the ground, the bones sliding every which direction.

"How- how on earth did you do that!? Mortals can't even see monsters!" I nearly yell as he pulls me up.

"Those things are near impossible to kill!" I exclaim.

"Um.... I don't know. I just couldn't stand to let him kill you." He says as he hands me my knife.

"Well, Daniel. That was pretty cool. And I hate to burst your bubble, but they come back after a few minutes. And he is sure going to be angry about being killed by a mortal." I say a bit unsteady. I'm not so sure he's a mortal anymore.

"Well until then, come to my house. You say the monsters tend to stay away from mortals, and I have five brothers and a sister. Plus, I think you hurt your ankle." He finishes, pointing at it.

"I noticed your face when you tried to use it, and my moms pretty good at this stuff."

he helps me up, and I realize he's right. I'll be safest there for now.

"Ok Daniel. But not for long, my dad will get worried."

I put one arm around his shoulder, and we slowly limp to his house.

We get there, and he had come up with a story that in the dark theater, I went to use the bathroom and fell. Good story. His mom immediately helped me, as his little brothers stared in awe.

"Well, Annabeth." His mother said. "It doesn't look too bad, but wear this boot for at least a week and take it easy. I'm sure you'll be fine." She finished with a warm smile.

"Thanks," I say grateful Daniels mom was so nice. I try to get up and walk home, but I stop in my track. This feels worse than she's letting on. She noticed my pain, and orders Daniel to walk me home.

"It's getting dark anyway." She claims.

We walk out of the house, and suddenly I'm grateful Daniel lives a block away from me.

"I feel really bad about all of this." He says, with the same serious tone.

"It's fine, really. This stuff happens everyday. Just the other day, when I was in a bad mood, I had just fought a dracnaenae and I didn't want to talk." I explain.

"Oh. And I just annoyed you more by calling you- well you know. I'm sorry."

I stop so abruptly he's startled.

"Sorry?" I say with anger in my tone. "How are you sorry? You just saved my life, after many times I've treated you so horribly, and you tell me your sorry. I should be the one that's sorry!" I say, with more anger than I meant.

"I didn't think about it like that. Oh, here's your house. I'm going to get your bike now. See ya tomorrow. "

And he runs off. Great, I think. Just scared off your only friend. I limp inside, and my stepmother shrieks and mobs me with questions.

"What happened? how are you hurt? are you alright? I'll go make some cookies." She says panicky.

"I'm fine. Just a run in with a monster and Daniels mom fixed me up."

I skip the part about him saving me, because I'm embarrassed. I can usually handle my monsters.

"I'll have to tell her thank you later. Here, I'll help you to your room."

She puts her arm around my waist, almost like a loving mother, and helps me on my bed.

"Are you sure you don't need anything?" she asks again.

"I'll be fine. But can you hand me some ambrosia squares on my counter? If I was really out of it for a week, well I don't think I monsters will give me a break for that long." I conclude as she hands me the squares.

I pop one into my mouth, and instantly feel stronger.

"Be careful with that weird magic stuff. I don't want a burned-up daughter."

She actually seemed worried on the last part, but she seemed to forgot I've done this hundreds of times.

"Goodnight." She says and shuts my door.