Chapter 7- Movies With A Dork

I wake up at 7 am, and check my email. I have a message from Daniel that says:

Hey it's ok. Stuff happens. Wanna catch a movie?

I reply:

Yea sure. As long as it's not a date ;) see u at 10.

With that, I go to my closet and slip on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Then I put my hair in a classic ponytail, grab my phone and dagger and head for the door. But my stepmother stops me.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

I think about being smart with her, but I decide against it.

"I'm going to the movies with Daniel." I state.

"But I thought your boyfriend was Percy Jackson." She counters.

I feel instant heat rise to my cheeks.

"Percy is my boyfriend. It just so happens Daniel is my only friend." And with that, I walk out of the house.

***************=^.^=************

I start pedaling my bike toward the theater, then sigh. Just my luck, a Cannibal Giant is standing on the sidewalk, surely awaiting my arrival. I park my bike, and check my watch. I figure I have 10 minutes to kill him. I take out my dagger and yell:

"Come and get it ugly!!"

He bellows in rage, stand charges for me. I charge back, and slide under him and stab his calf. He cries out in pain, as the immortal ichor flows out this leg.

"HOW DARE YOU LITTLE GIRL! I ONLY WANTED TO EAT YO- "

But I don't let him finish. I stab him one more time in the back and he dissolves into a pile of yellow dust. And with five minutes to spare, I think happily as I stare at the pile of dust. I jump on my bike, and head for the theater.

I pull up, park my bike and go inside. I go straight for the bathroom to freshen up, because trust me, if you fought a giant you would do the same thing. I wash some mud off my face and leg, I guess from the sliding. Next, I wipe all the sweat off thinking to myself: How gross or That's attractive. But I guess all demigods have gone through this. I put on deodorant and spray a bit of perfume and re-do my ponytail. I sheath my dagger so I don't freak out the mortals. I head out of the bathroom and sit on a bench. After debating for a minute, I call Daniel. It's unlikely monsters will attack with so many mortals around.

"Hey Daniel. Are you almost here?" I say.

"Yeah almost. I got attacked by a pack of angry squirrels."

I can almost hear the smirk in his voice. And think, not as bad as being attacked by a cannibal giant. With that, I hang up.

He finally arrives and we buy tickets. When he tries to buy mine, I say:

"Not a date, remember?"

he laughs, but doesn't argue. We take our seats, and the movie starts.

*********=^.^=*********

"Good movie, huh Annabeth?" he says.

"Yeah sure if you think talking cats are funny." I reply.

"Oh come on, it wasn't that bad. Have a bit of imagination!" he says with an idiotic grin.

I just shake my head and smile. He's a fun guy, but he's no Percy Jackson. We're about to head out the double doors when he notices some of the monster dust on my shorts.

"What the heck is that?!" He says crazily.

"It's- its-" I stumble, and realize its time to come clean. Daniel has been my friend for a long time and I know I can trust him with my secret.

"It's monster dust. Remember the stories of Greek gods having kids with mortals?" I say unsteadily.

"Um yeah. And...?"

"I'm about to tell you something you can't repeat to anyone. Well... I'm a demigod. Half mortal, Half god. My mother is Athena." I say.

He stumbles back, taking in the news.

"Wow, Annabeth. Should I treat you like royalty now?" He smirks.

I shove himself say "Well yeah. Demigod, whatever. It means were always getting attacked my monsters. Yes, real Greek monsters. It's all real. I fought a giant on my way here and killed him. When monsters die, they turn into dust."

"Wow. Your one awesome chick." He says in awe.

"It's really not that fun being a demigod. Always attacked by monsters, and never having a normal life. Come on, let's ride home."

*********=^.^=*********

We get on our bikes, and head home.

"You mean all the Greek gods, monsters, and even the underworld is real?" He says.

"For the thousandth time Daniel, yes. It's all real. Just don't tell anyone okay?"

I worry. I feel like I'm making a mistake. But he had to know. Just then, we hear a bang from a side street.

"What was that?" He says.

"Stay here." I whisper and take out my dagger. "It's a monster, Daniel. If he comes at you, run. Run for your life." With that, I sprint to the side street.