Chapter 2- I Get a Fresh Start

I watch the road be swallowed up by the sky as we get miles and miles down the road. I couldn't believe I had to stay with my stepmom that hates my guts for half of the school year. The worst part is she lives in the most dangerous city for demigods, San Francisco. So of course she would be blaming me for monsters attacking the house, monsters following her perfect kids, monsters spying on us and... oh my gods how am I going to not run away this year?

       Well, my dad managed to make a deal with her that if I went to school here for half the year and didn't cause monsters to kill her kids, then I can finish school with Percy in New York. I think I can go to school here, but how will I keep my annoying, hateful stepmom from spazzing out every time she sees a monster through the window? This is going to be a long semester.

. . .

          First thing I do when I get home is stomp to my room and slam the door, with hot angry tears making there way down my face. I hadn't been here two seconds and my stepmom accused me of trying to kill her perfect children already. And just my luck- my dad was in his workshop and not to be disturbed. I plop down on my bed and stare at the white ceiling. I feel my pale gray eyes start to well up with tears again, partly because of my stepmother, and partly because I wish Percy was here to comfort me in his arms.

"Percy." I say, although no one can hear me.

"Where are you to protect me now?"

I know this semester will be sucky and I haven't even gone to school yet. I drift of to sleep, and my last thought is feeling the dried tears on my face.