Bell came forward as I drew near them and eloped me in a hug, “You should’ve told us she was here! We could’ve met her then!” she grinned happily. I couldn’t decide if I was happy now that I’d seen and spent half the night with Ana or unhappy that she’d gone again.

“Hey man, you all right?” asked Maxim, clapping me on the shoulder while Sophia offers me a warm smile.

“Yeah, I guess. What time is it anyway?” I question, wondering just how long I’d spent with Ana.

“Just coming up to 3am; closing time for the club. Come on, I’ve just got to go and have a word with the club owner and then we’ll head back.”

When we pulled up back home, I hastily got out of the car to distance myself from the others and escape their questions, which so far I had managed to skilfully avoid. Thankfully, the others were too tired to follow after me and I was soon back in my room and, having quickly stripped down to my boxers, collapsed on my bed.

*                                       *                                            *                                                *

The next morning, surprise hit me upon waking up as I realised that I’d actually managed to sleep! After weeks of insomnia, I’d finally slept, like a baby as well. Ana was not only my drug but also my cure; replaying thoughts of her at the club had guarded me into a safe amount of sleep.

Being well rested, I felt less irritable and no longer depressed; I could face my family with a completely impassive composure. Entering the palace breakfast parlor, I sat down nonchalantly and plated a pile of food, ignoring the looks being given to me by the rest of the family. Instead I focused on what I wanted to get done; there would be progress today, with Ana, with the packs and the announcement! Everything. Everything that I’d been avoiding recently would be handled.

“So Kellen, Maxim told us that you’re mate was at the club last night?” enquired Dad, smiling, looking up from his paper. I rolled my eyes at Maxim, who grinned and winked. I nodded.

“I still think you should’ve introduced her; I’d really love to meet her! It did explain where you disappeared off to though,” Piped Bell her expression softening into a light, teasing smile.

“Was she there alone?” Asks Mom, joining the inquiry.

I smirk cheekily at Bell, then shake my head at Mum, quickly finish my mouthful of food and answer, “No, she said she was there celebrating with friends.”

“And she didn’t elaborate?” Continues Mum. I shake my head again while rounding up and quickly polishing off the rest of the food of my plate. Tired of their questions.

“Still don’t know who she is then” Added Maxim lazily. I star at him blankly, wondering if he was asking or just stating, and finally decide I really didn’t care.

Spending time with Ana last night made me realise how insensitive I’d been about the whole situation; her and her Alpha had clearly been putting their necks out to ensure Ana’s identity remained a secret, to ensure we both stayed safe. Yet here I was, trying to unravel their hard work and no doubt making it hard on them- her Alpha especially- by prying around in my efforts to find her. I had accepted upon her pleading last night; “Kellen, my dear mate, please! Believe me; I know it’s difficult not knowing the first thing about me, and I you but you need to understand! You make this so much more difficult for me by asking around in the packs about me. Please…just…” Her unfinished words echoed around in my mind; she hadn’t needed to finish her sentence because I understood. The way her big, cloudy gray eyes had looked imploringly, straight through me was enough to steel my resolve. 

“I don’t know and I’m not going to pry. I’d appreciate it if you would all extend the same courtesy, if not for Ana’s sake then most definitely for mine.” I spoke firmly with authority and though the order would have no effect on Mom and Dad; it would at least illustrate how serious I was. Surprised expressions answered me but I stared back impassively. “Dad, I want to get stuck into arrangements for the packs and funding today, as well as deal with any other paper work I haven’t seen to.” I spoke firmly, looking at Dad directly. His answering nod held gravity that only a King was entitled. “I’ll be in the study.” I murmur as I get up, bow to my parents and head to the door in order to start a constructive day.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Dedicated to my another of my close friend Matty! Happy Birthday sweetie, I hope you had an awesome one! :D :3 xx

NEXT UPLOAD WILL BE ON THE 5TH OF OCTOBER!