Chapter 55

(A/N : Play the music above as you read)

Julia's POV

Several months had passed since the day I ended things with Tom, and I hadn't seen him ever since. My heart was aching a little bit more every day and I was crying myself to sleep every single night. I knew I had done the right thing by letting him go, but as selfish as it sounded, a part of me regretted it. We obviously didn't want the same things in our life but somehow I couldn't help but feel guilty for not having at least given us a real chance instead of giving up so quickly. Anyway, what was done was done and I had no way back now. All I could do was move on.

Just like each time I'd gone through hard times before, my job was the only thing that kept me going. I was using it as a pain killer actually, and I guess it wasn't such a bad thing because working was always better than crying.

I somehow managed to finally solve the case I was assigned to for weeks, the one with the high school girls rapist. I found out the rapist was in fact the french teacher which honestly surprised me since the dude was by far the coolest teacher of the whole school, but you can't judge a book by its cover as they say. I was glad I'd eventually been able to bust that fucker, and I was even more glad I had gotten all his victims to testify againt him in court. He wouldn't be able to rape anyone anytime soon.

I went undercover a few times after this, and I literally pourred my soul into each new case. It kept my head busy and I needed it or I think I would've gone mad. Unfortunately all good thngs come to an end, and at some point I found myself with no case to work on. I tried to focus on the paperwork to compensate, but it was harder not to think of Tom when I was at the chapel, espacially when I overheard Doug telling the others he had gone to the bowling alley with him the night just before. I remained focused on what I was doing, trying to play it cool and make it look like I hadn't heard anything or simply didn't care, but they weren't born yesterday. They all knew Tom and I weren't together anymore, and they also knew I was currently experiencing a terrible heartache. It was so painfully obvious anyway. I don't know how many times a day I was caught staring blankly at his empty desk right in front of mine. It'd become so frequent I think no one payed it attention anymore. Well, except maybe for Fuller who still pointed it out by calling my name each time he would catch me doing somethng else than filling files.

♡♡♡

It had been another day of me on desk duty. Another typical boring day at the office, but that somehow felt different though. My gaze was shifting to nothing in particular until it landed on Tom's former desk once again, causing a few memories to come flooding back into my mind. The day we met, the day Fuller called us both into his office to give us our first and last assignment together, the night Tom and I were the only one left in the chapel and we ended up fucking like two wild animals. This place was definitely not the same anymore without Tom Hanson and no matter how hard I tried, I clearly couldn't get used to his absence. His ghost was everywhere and it was haunting me.

Lost in my thoughts, I started realizing something I would've never thought I'd end up saying one day : I hated that place without him. I hated working here without him and as unbelievable as it sounded, I had no interest in being a cop now. Maybe Tom was right after all, you can't play kids in high schools forever, you gotta grow up eventually.

I briefly glanced at Fuller's office closed door, finally deciding to follow my heart for once. I stood up and walked slowly to the captain's office, lightly trailing my fingers along the edge of what had been Tommy's desk as I passed by it. Memories of my very first day at Jump Street started replaying in my head.

Flashback

I hesitantly stepped forward. What a busy place, so many desks, so many people running everywhere. It was all so different from what I knew. The police station where I had been working until today was a lot less crowded. I started to feel nervous. Would I be able to get used to this place ? Would I be able to get used to the rythm of work ? Would I even like it here ?