Chapter Thirty-One: "I Must Be Dreaming."

Everything around me was changing even though it didn't really seem like it. At times it felt like we were stuck in basic all over again. PT, marching, tactics, map reading, first aid classes... Whenever I had time to sit down I always felt bad about it. 

"I feel like there's something I should be doing and I'm not doing it, Geney." I chuckled, sorting some medical supplies out. 

August quickly approached and I found myself billeting myself in a tent with our officers, and shared a bed with Lew. When asked why I didn't want to have my private tent, I frowned and looked at my hands before looking back up and shaking my head. I didn't want to talk about the nightmares I had been plagued with. Speirs nodded and plopped down in his bed, swiftly falling asleep. I took off my helmet and ran my fingers through my hair, before untying my laces and falling asleep. I was glad to sleep next to Lewis. To put it simply, he was my rock. His constant presence and warmth made me calm and allowed me to sleep soundly most nights. On nights where I was shaken awake by him saying that I had been dreaming, he took me into his arms and held me tightly. His voice mixed with his strong arms made it easy for me. 

The next day we were both surprised. A German General was surrendering his entire division and I had been nabbed to help Winters in translating. I stood behind Winters who was conversing easily with the General in English. He hadn't seemed to notice my presence until I spoke. 

"Sind einige Ihrer Männer verletzt?" (Are any of your men injured?) I asked. 

"A few." he said.

"I can treat them." I nodded.

"What is your name?" he asked.

"Lieutenant Megan Bonti, General. I'm the ranking medic."

His eyebrows raised when he heard my name and he straightened.

"You are known among the men. You have treated some of their brothers, I've heard." 

"It is possible. I've treated many."

"And yet you do so as if they were your own men."

"I'm a medic. I'm not there to judge. My job is to treat and heal. No matter what side we fought on in this war, we all deserve to be treated with respect."

He shook my hand and together we assembled at the airfield where his men had lined up in their ranks. With permission he started addressing his men, Liebgott translating.

"Men... It's been a long war. It's been a tough war. You have fought bravely and proudly for your country. You are a very special group, who have found in one another a bond that develops only in combat. Among brothers, who have shared foxholes, supported each other through terrible moments, who have faced death and suffered together. I am proud to have served with you. Each and every one of you deserves a long and happy life in peace."

After making my way back to the aid station where I treated the Germans, I found myself getting stuck in my thoughts. I longed to go home to my family but still felt I had an obligation to my family here. I shook the homesickness from my thoughts and continued on my tasks until it was time for bed. 

***

"LIEUTENANT BONTI!"

"Heilige Scheiße!" I shouted, jumping from where I had fallen asleep in my desk chair after doing paperwork the next day.

I fell out of my chair and onto the floor, the chair now upended and on its side. Boisterous laughter erupted from the doorway and I realized who had yelled. I was up in a flash and threw my arms around Buck Compton who had finally returned to us. The time he had spent off the line had done him wonders. His smile, his laugh and the spark in his eyes was back.