Chapter Twenty-Six: "Juden."

Just like I had said a couple nights prior to Captain Speirs and Lew, word came down that we were to be moving back on the line. I figured it was coming, but the couple months we spent off was enough to rest and recuperate mostly. There are some that are struggling with nightmares, and some are still grieving the loss of men that had died in Bastogne. I did my best to help ease their pain. I guess the Germans had been pushed back over the Rhine and we were moving in on Germany. April 2nd was the day that we finally arrived in Germany. I wasn't sure how to feel about being in the country where my parents were originally from and where I was born. Although I don't agree with my father's choices, I still wondered where he was.  

There was no fighting going on and I didn't have to care for any injuries, except those of men who had managed to get themselves hurt on patrol. I was able to keep up with my paperwork and got to spend time with Lewis almost daily. Something that I noticed, however, was that he was drinking heavily and I wasn't very supportive of that. When I saw him drink out of his flash while we were sat doing reports and paperwork together I would send him a look across the table. He knew my distaste for it. I only ever had a beer every once and a while; I didn't drink Vat 69 daily like he had been doing. 

"Lewis Nixon, please stop. If you continue drinking like this you'll only harm yourself." I said.

"I know, I know... I'm cutting back. I promise." he smiled, putting away the flask in his desk. 

I nodded lightly and went back to my writing before he broke silence.

"I'm gonna be going with the 17th on a jump into Rhineland tomorrow." 

"Dear God... Be safe, will you?" I said, looking into his eyes.

"You got it, Angel Eyes." he said. 

With not many wounded coming in, I also found myself caring for ailments the townsfolk had as well. It certainly kept me occupied while Lewis was away. I was treating everything from scrapes and cuts to colds and different sicknesses. Maybe one day I will go to medical school... Once the war is over, of course. I was heading over to the CP when a roaring Jeep approached and I stopped just outside. Hopping out of the back seat, I saw Lewis. His face was a little pale and I could tell from the way his brows were furrowed that something was wrong. I held my file folders tightly in my hands and stepped in front of him to block the door into the CP.

"Hey, hey... Lewis, what happened?" 

"Later, Meg." he said, trying to step around me.

"No, Lew. Tell me now." I said sternly looking into his eyes. 

"My plane took a direct hit. I was one of four to survive the crash." 

"Holy Lord." I whispered as I reached up to wrap my arms around him in a tight hug. 

He returned the gesture, tucking his head into my neck and shedding a few tears. It was the first time I had really seen him cry. I kissed his cheek softly and led the way into the CP where I dropped off my reports to Winters. I had found out later that he had been moved from regiment down to battalion S-3, but he didn't seem broken up about it. 

"So I don't have to crack any skulls, huh?" I joked. 

Later I found myself sitting at the current events reading, ignoring most of what Lew was reading off. None of it interested me. I could care less if Rita Hayworth was getting married or if Oklahoma was still on Broadway. However, when 'wartime news' was uttered, I sat up in my chair and listened. 

"Resistance in the Ruhr part is crumbling. It looks like there might be a breakout in Remagen. Apparently, the Krauts forgot to blow up on of their bridges when they headed back over the Rhine. I guess the boys in the 17th Airborne did okay after all."