Chapter Twenty-Four: The Last Patrol

I later found myself at the briefing for the patrol. I walked into the room and stood by the window near Lt. Jones while we waited for the rest of the men to arrive. 

"Lieutenant Jones." I greeted. 

"I see you were promoted, Meg. Congratulations." he smiled and nodded.

"Thanks."

"Where are you from?" he asked. 

"Brooklyn, NY." I replied. 

"I'm from Dunkirk, NY. I heard about your mother from Captain Winters. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thanks." I leaned back against the wall as the other men filed in. 

I started dozing off standing up, my helmet pulled over my eyes. I let out a yawn and closed my eyes. 

"Ten-hut!" said Lt. Jones. 

"Jesus Christ." I said, jumping about a mile.

I adjusted my helmet and stood up to see that Winters had arrived. 

"Gentlemen. Angel." said Winters. 

"Sir." I greeted. 

"As you can see, we've assembled 16 of you for this prisoner snatch tonight, 0100. Just a couple of points: We've secured four rubber boats to get you across the river. Lieutenant Jones here is the ranking officer and he'll be along as an observer. Sergeant Martin here will lead the patrol in Sergeant Malarkey's place. The whole Battalion will be covering your withdrawal. We've identified targets, planned fire for 'em. We hear these whistles and we open up. Don't blow them 'til you're back in the boats with the prisoners." he handed the whistles to Johnny.

"And if the house turns out to be empty sir?" asked Martin.

"It won't. but in any case, we know it's an outpost and want it destroyed, so you'll have to lay some demo on a time delay. You have to move fast, but carefully. Put a perimeter around the house. Once that's in place, get your rifle grenades in the first-floor window, get your assault team in quick. Remember that it's about prisoners. Don't pop the first thing that moves. Clear?" 

"Yes sir." they answered. 

"Martin, picked your assault team?"

"McClung, Sisk, Cobb, Garcia, and Webster as a translator. The rest of you guys a base of fire with Sergeant Grant." 

"I'll be hanging back a bit but will be going in with the assault team." I nodded.

"That's my team, sir."

"Questions?" asked Winters. 

"No sir." we all replied together. 

"Good. Good luck."

***

I made sure my pack was all squared away and then sacked out on the couch in the CP. My sleep proved more restful this time which I was glad for. I was later shaken awake by Captain Speirs who was ready to watch the patrol. I quickly got my helmet on and my satchel wrapped over my shoulders. When we reached the bank of the river, we gathered with the rest of the men by the riverbank. I took a seat in the first boat and waited for the rest to load up. When we were finally off, I pulled the rope to help propel us across the river. We were completely silent until a splash broke the silence. I looked over my shoulder to see the three men from the last boat in the icy water. I looked at Johnny with wide eyes and we both listened for any sign that the Germans had heard. 

I released a breath I didn't know I had been holding when we reached the other side. We advanced slowly up the bank that was covered in snow. When we were all ready, Martin gave out the assignments and whispered: "Security out!" I stayed behind at that checkpoint and watched as they moved towards the building. Once they hit the small staircase I was off. I now stood at the bottom of the staircase. Martin broke cover and fired a rifle grenade through a shattered window. Without waiting, Jackson broke cover and raced to the stairs.