Chapter 50

"You're sure you want to do this?"

Richard leaned back in a leather chair and stared across a large desk at Benson. It had been two months since they first met and both men were still wary of each other.

Their paths had crossed a handful of times and not every meeting was pleasant. The interrogations Richard had been subject to were intense and invasive. He was often made to feel like a criminal instead of a victim. This was no different than Maxwell's behaviour and he was upset Benson would allow such a thing.

In Bensons mind there was no choice. His team had to prove without a doubt Richard was who he claimed and not Sands in another stolen body. Both men seemed to tell the truth but that still left him suspicious. Someone could be lying – and there was no way to know for sure. The Foundation had tests but none were conclusive. He tried them all, then listened to his gut and set Richard free.

"Richard?"

"Congratulations on the permanent position," Richard said, ignoring the question. "Try to be a little more open minded than your old boss."

"Thanks," Benson smiled. "I know he's not your favorite person but Maxwell's a good man. His intentions were always for the best - if somewhat misguided. You know, I'm surprised he survived what happened. The wounds were severe. If he'd been a few inches closer to that Bubble it would have vaporized him."

"I'm working on forgiveness." Richard said. "But it's tough. I was never considered innocent by Maxwell and I have no idea why. It makes absolutely no sense."

"Pressure from above. Council wanted results. You have to consider the unbelievable amount of evidence at the time."

"Where is he now?" Richard asked. He saw no point in getting into another circular argument about the same thing with a different Chief.

"Eden, in Tom Vector's body while he tries to work some magic and get Maxwell's into shape. Your Uncle is helping. I didn't realize they were old friends."

"It's not something he likes to broadcast."

"And how about you? Been hitting the gym? I'm impressed."

Richard glanced down at his belly. It had easily shrunk by half. He smirked. "I'm doing my best."

"Any regrets?"

"None."

"Even though you didn't get your body back?"

"Life is what you make it Chief. It's a challenge though. The drugs help but I still miss my old body. And that's a feeling I just can't explain."

Benson stood and motioned toward a door to the left. "If you're ready I have transport on standby."

Richard followed him out of the office and down a long white hallway. At the end was an elevator. It took them to the parking garage. A Burro was waiting.

"Should be a quieter trip than the last time," Benson said as he opened the Burro's sliding side door.

"I hope so."

"Best of luck Richard. And don't let him get in your head. That's all he's got for entertainment."