Chapter 15

When Richard saw the body he froze. This was his first encounter with one outside a Hospital - and it belonged to someone he just spoke to. All that kept him calm was knowing a breakdown would draw unwanted attention.

He took a few deep, slow breaths. His pulse dropped. The mystery had grown and twisted. Now Richard would never know why the stranger approached him in the restaurant.

He stepped out the door, moved closer, but gave the body a wide berth. His destination was the end of the alley. It was impossible to stop staring. A small, brave part of him wanted to search the dead man's pockets in the off chance there were clues inside. Common sense kept this from happening. The last thing he needed was a fingerprint or DNA anywhere near a crime scene.

His mind raced. Why was the man killed? And how? There were no signs of violence. Was there any chance it had something to do with him or Nickle? This seemed unlikely but the thought was still unsettling.

He stopped at the sidewalk. People breezed past and cars sped by. Everyone had somewhere to be. Richard felt a pang of jealousy. All were blissfully unaware of how quickly life can turn upside down. He'd been just as oblivious a few months ago.

Determination kept any self pity in check. There wasn't much - just enough to force one foot in front of the other and get him down the street, but that was all he needed. There were meetings to keep in his life – he just had to figure out where they were and with whom.

Traffic provided an answer.

A sedan crept down the street. It was long and low. The black paint was perfect. Every inch screamed arrogance. The sight of it brought to mind the first person he should track down.

*

Getting into the gym was usually a breeze for Richard. That was no longer the case. The facility was reserved for the elite – celebrities, city officials and beautiful people. He was still a member but no longer had the fingerprints or proper Hotwire port to prove it.

This meant a wait and being patient. Both were in short supply.

At least he was out of sight. And the seat was comfortable. Not as comfortable as his own car, but enough to keep him from getting sore while he watched for Alex Perkins – a man who never locked his car doors.

Seeing his former colleagues coming and going was tough. Days earlier he'd been among them. Now he was a man on the run – stuck in a fat body. People who would have kissed his ass before would never give him a second glance now.

An hour passed before Alex appeared. He was dressed in a fine black suit, carried an expensive leather bag and crossed the parking lot with a spring in his step. Such behavior suggested contracts had been negotiated.

Oblivious to what lay in wait, he fished the keys from his pocket, swung open the driver's door and dropped into the car.

That's when Richard grabbed his arm. Alex tried to scream but he clamped a chubby hand over his mouth.

"Shut the fuck up," Richard hissed. He tried to sound intimidating despite a hammering heart.

Alex stiffened when he saw who it was.

Richard clamped down harder "I'm not here to hurt you."

Alex nodded.

"You'll be quiet if I let go?"

Alex nodded again.

"You better not be lying." Richard pulled his hand away and balled the other into a fist. He was prepared to hit him as hard as he could.