Chapter 3

"Daddy!"

For the first time since leaving the house that morning Richard smiled a genuine smile. The arrogance was gone, replaced with a warmth that would astonish most of the people who knew him.

His young sons raced down the hallway, arms outstretched.

"Boys!" Richard shouted. He dropped to a knee and gathered both tiny bodies in his arms. "How was your day?"

"Nick overflowed the toilet!" exclaimed the boy under Richard's right arm.

"Did not!" hollered Nick. "You lie Zack!"

"Mom said you put in too much toilet paper! Almost a whole roll!"

Richard released the boys and let them argue. They were identical twins, exact in every way – from their chubby cheeks and freckles to red hair and green eyes. He headed down the hall to the kitchen, whistling softly.

Another smile appeared when he arrived in the doorway - this one brighter than the last. Standing in the big room with her back to him was the love of his life. Sam was beautiful - tall and blonde, but not brash about it. And her heart was perfect – kind and considerate. Because of all these things and so many more, the sight of his wife always made Richard happy.

"Sammy," he whispered.

Startled, Sam spun around. She grinned at the sight of him. "Hi, my love."

"What's shakin'?" Richard stepped into the kitchen, took off his coat and hung it over the back of a stool.

"Trying to figure out supper."

"We have people who do that."

"Not today. I gave Claus the afternoon off. Besides, I like doing it."

Richard frowned. "Why?"

"There's just something about feeding your family I guess."

"You know that's not what I'm talking about."

Sam poked him in the ribs. "You need to lighten up."

"How can I lighten up when you sent the chef home?!"

"Richard!" Sam glared at him. In the distance the boys screeched. She paid them no attention. "His son is sick. He had to take him to the hospital. Show some compassion!"

"Okay! I had no idea."

"How about trusting my judgment?!" Sam scowled and turned back to the counter.

For a moment Richard stood still and said nothing. This allowed him to process response options. He chose the easiest. "You're right."

"Not to sound like a bitch but you've been a real grump lately. God knows I love you, but sometimes it's tough dealing with your attitude."

Richard moved behind Sam and put his hands on her shoulders. "It's just work. Bickering with agents, negotiating contracts and being in demand gets overwhelming. Pressure makes me tense. You know that."

Sam relaxed against him and closed her eyes. "That excuse is old. When's enough enough? When are you going to retire? It's not like we need the money."

Richard looked across the kitchen and out the window. It was dark. The city lights and starry sky twinkled together. He thought of the perks of his job – especially the notoriety. He never waited for a table at a restaurant, never got speeding tickets, and seldom paid full price for anything. Giving up that stuff would be like losing a limb. Life would go on but it wouldn't be the same.