Chapter 31

"How did Benson uncover this place?" asked Lapearle. He was watching live video feed from the group infiltrating Mingle's building.

"He didn't. Turns out there was someone deep undercover with Frankie. His Handler filled me in when we discovered who broke Sobel out. The agents monitor flat lined fifteen minutes ago – Sweep team had eyes on the building so we sent them in."

"Is he dead or offline?"

"Dead. There's no power. The way the transmitter is wired that's a clear indication of zero brain activity."

"What a waste," said Lapearle.

"Everyone who enlists knows the risks."

"Doesn't make it any less tragic."

"Of course not." Maxwell tapped a blank screen beside Lapearle's. An image of a huge room filled with stacks of furniture appeared. "They're almost in."

The men moved toward a large metal door on the far wall. It had no visible way of being opened. Two of the five attached a thick tape around the frame. A third man stuck a small red button on it and stepped back. There was a pop. The door fell forward. When the smoke settled a long hallway came into view.

"What is this place?" asked Lapearle.

"Supposed to be storage. It's in the middle of D Block."

Lapearle looked at a 3D map on a third monitor. A red circle floated around a squat building. Identical structures surrounded it. The area was industrial. "Makes sense to hide stuff there. Low crime."

"Exactly," said Maxwell. The men on the main screen were now moving along a cement corridor. It was filled with screams and lined with doors. One stood open at the far end. This was the destination.

The group reached it and moved inside. The operating room was bright. On the floor were three bodies. Standing in the opposite corner was Morris. He looked directly into the camera and smiled.

"Fuck," said Maxwell.

"Is that who I think it is?" asked Lapearle.