Chapter 12

In Richard's opinion, everything Maxwell said during his visit was unreasonable. This left one clear option – taking matters into his own hands. He wasn't arrogant enough to assume it would be easy – especially on his own. But playing things safe meant someone else would decide his fate.

The choice was still intimidating. Running held risks – getting caught and thrown in the Trench, or making it out and being stuck on the run were the big ones. Staying put was no better – since it was little more than prison in another form.

With hours alone and nothing to do but think, Richard mulled over the possibilities. One thing was certain – if he chose to run an ally was important.

Finding one could prove difficult.

First pick was Carter. His disgust with Maxwell's behavior made him a strong contender. But he wasn't a risk taker or rule breaker. Challenging authority wasn't in his nature.

Next was Tom, who should be up for any adventure. But he was in Eden. Getting him out would be impossible, and waiting to go back and plan an escape would never work. There were too many obstacles.

It was possible Jack might help, but he'd been so vocal about his careless decisions that he might say no just to teach him a lesson.

And that seemed to be it - until Jackie walked in the room.

Richard's heart jumped when he saw her. He couldn't believe she hadn't crossed his mind.

"How are you doing?" Jackie stopped at the end of the bed. Her tone matched the solemn expression on her face.

"Trying to find a silver lining," Richard replied. Something seemed off – she wasn't smiling. That was uncommon. "Are you okay? You look upset."

"I'm fine. Tired and confused. What's going on? No one's told me a thing."

"You've heard nothing at all?"

"Nothing new."

"No questions about the silence surrounding me?" Richard asked.

"Sure, but we're not getting any answers."

"The Foundation's never been quiet like that before."

"Most of us think the gag has to do with Security."

"How does that matter? What promise is made to all employees?"

Jackie closed her eyes and bit her lip in thought. "That at no point and under no circumstance will the company keep from its employees any matter financial, physical or otherwise that affects the operation of the firm."

"That's clearly not happening."

"Which is why we blame Security. Chandler's never withheld information before."

"Would you like me to fill you in?" Richard asked. The offer was bait – his way of manipulating her for help. She had no idea.

"Absolutely!"

"First we make a deal."

"Okay..." Jackie's blue eyes narrowed. "What sort of deal?"

"Very - " Richard paused. He wondered if the room was bugged. Not that it mattered – fear shouldn't control his decisions. If guards rushed in after hearing his plan, things would really be no worse than if he ran and got caught.

"Very simple," he continued. "Tit for tat. I tell you what you want and you help me get out of here."

Jackie's expression shifted from suspicion to surprise. "Out of where? The room?"