Chapter 34

Alex parked his car at the bottom of a dead end street. The neighbourhood was questionable – mostly middle class but considered dangerous. It was barely patrolled and surveillance was thin - a perfect spot for what had to be done.

From the passenger seat Richard scanned the houses beyond the windshield. He was anxious. "What's going on?"

"Calm down." Alex unbuckled his seatbelt, reached behind Richard and grabbed a black steel case the size of a shoe box. Painted on the front was a yellow circle with a square in the middle.

"Holy shit!" Richard whispered when he saw it. "How did you get that?"

Alex smirked and his eyes twinkled as he set the box on Richards lap. "You just have to know the right people."

"This is incredible!"

"It's the only way you'll make it past the men watching your house."

"They won't have a clue," Richard said. He was in complete awe.

"You deserve to see your family after everything that's happened."

"I'm surprised. When we spoke earlier you didn't seem to think I should be anywhere near my place."

Alex pointed at the box. "That was before I wrangled this."

"It does change everything."

"There's a few specific things to remember with a Holosuit."

"I'm up to speed. They were an obsession for a while. Tried to buy one a few times - never could."

"What do you know?"

"Seriously? I have a handle on how it works."

"I'll guarantee no matter what you've read there's plenty you missed. The person I got it from uploaded instructions and made me swear to go over them. It's imperative. And let's be honest - you fly by the seat of your pants as a doctor and Locum. Not with this. It's too dangerous"

"Fine."

"There's no rush. That's why I brought you here. Patrol is light - next one won't be through for hours. We'll go over everything."

"Why?"

"Because you have to. So start with the basics."

"Holosuits make you invisible or change your appearance." Richard's voice was monotone. He sounded like a kid forced to recite a speech he hated.

"Do you know how they work?"

"Light refraction to make you disappear, surround body display for change of appearance. The fabric is organic."

"What can it display?"

"Anything."

"How do you display the image you want?"

"Upload through Tablet, image card or Internet using whatever connection's available."

"Power source?"

"Body heat. No need for battery bulk, no need to recharge."

"What are the risks?"

Richard paused. His face went slack. "I don't know."

"And that's reason enough to never rely on a single source - especially when it's the web. Info like that won't pop up because no one wants it to." Alex paused to glare and make his point. "These suits are air tight - you overheat easily - so they're intended for short use. A fit person will get thirty minutes max in one. Normal body temp is 98.6 Fahrenheit – you hit 104 and it's lights out. The auto shut down will kick in before that as a safety precaution. Helpful unless it happens in the wrong place."

Richard glanced down at his ample belly. "How much time do you think I'll have?"

"Maybe twenty minutes? That body is still in rough shape."

"Can it be detected?"

Alex nodded. "Heat signature is distinct."

"Will Security notice me right away?"

"Probably not. The only areas with constant monitoring are City exits. Everywhere else gets a sweep every fifteen minutes. When you're detected an Operator will make contact through the intercom. You'll get asked a few standard questions. Don't reply. There's no point. Officers will already be dispatched."

"So I should have around fifteen minutes with my family?"

"Hard to say." Alex watched a young man walking his dog at the end of the street. "If you're lucky and get in at the end of a sweep you will."

"Any way to tell when one starts or ends?"

"Probably - but I don't have access to that info."

Richard ran his fingers over the box in his lap. They were trembling. It was still hard to believe what he'd been given. "When do we go?" he asked.

"Any time."

"I'm ready."

"Take off your clothes, put on the suit and we'll head over. Leave it powered off and unzipped until we're there."

Richard did as he was told, Alex put the car in gear and they were on their way.