Chapter 37

The Burro rumbled out of Security Headquarters and turned onto a quiet street. There were no other vehicles in sight. It surged ahead. The engine purred. Their destination wasn't far so the trip should have been simple.

That wasn't the case.

Mitchell drove, Wilson sat beside Richard and Ramsay was in a seat at the Communication Center.

"Quite a story on those Tabs," said Ramsay. "If Security hadn't provided them I wouldn't believe half the shit."

Richard said nothing.

"How the hell does a civilian doctor get himself out of so many dangerous situations?" Ramsay asked. His manner was intimidating. With Maxwell gone there was no one to keep his manners in line. "You were never in the military or received special training. How did you do it? And how did you get your hands on a Holosuit?"

Still no response from Richard.

Ramsay leaned closer. "You can only play silent for so long. I'll get what I want."

Not so much as a blink.

With a smirk, Ramsay reached for a thick black cylinder on his belt. That's when Wilson shot him. There was no hesitation.

The noise yanked Richard from his state.

The Burro came to a screeching halt. Richard looked from Ramsay's lifeless body to Wilson. The giant soldier regarded him with mild amusement.

"What just happened?" Mitchell asked over the intercom.

"Code red," said Wilson. His tone was smooth and even. His eyes never left Richard.

A beep sounded and the door to the cab slid open. When Mitchell stepped through Wilson shot him as well - same lack of hesitation. The giant fell to the floor with a thump.

Wilson rose, pulled Ramsay's body from his seat and dropped him next to Mitchell. Then he pushed a blue button on the wall beside the Communication Center. A door slid open. He crouched and rolled them both outside.

"What the fuck?!" Richard screeched. He pulled against the restraints. His motions were frantic and accomplished nothing.

Unfazed, Wilson stood, closed the door and stared at Richard. "There isn't a bullet for you if that's the worry," he said.

"What's going on?"

"Time for a meeting," said Wilson. He stepped through the cab door, sat in the driver seat and put the Burro back in gear.

"Repeat. Status BR-101?" asked a voice over the intercom.

"En route," said Wilson as they started to move.

"Tracking shows an abrupt halt. We also see...." The voice trailed off. There was dead silence for a moment, nothing but the sound of the engine. Then everything went crazy.

The interior lights changed colour – from white to amber. The dashboard displays began to flicker and the Burro began to lurch – losing power and then regaining it for a short burst.

None of this fazed Wilson. He removed a yellow rectangular box from the cargo pocket of his pants, stuck it to the window and pressed a green button on top. Everything returned to normal.

Then he hit the accelerator.

The Burro leapt forward. Richard's harness tightened and pulled him back against the seat. He hardly noticed. His eyes were on the Communication Center monitors. There were four – each displayed one side of the truck.

"What are you doing?!" Richard yelled as they switched lanes into oncoming traffic and narrowly missed a car.

Wilson ignored him. A large truck was headed toward them. At the last possible moment it swerved, destroying two vehicles in the next lane.

This made Wilson speed up. He hit everything in his path. If the other drivers didn't move fast enough their vehicles were destroyed. The hull of the truck was so thick that they crumpled against it and bounced off.

With every impact Richard gripped his seat tighter.

Then they hit a Com Pole. These were enormous – thirty feet high – and held communication equipment. It came down with a crash on the Burros roof, making a huge dent at the back. The lights inside flickered and sparks flew from the equipment.

This didn't trouble Wilson or alter their course – even though they were now dragging the pole. The Burros powerful engine seemed unaffected as the new cargo bounced back and forth, destroying everything in its wake.

After obliterating bus shelters, Com booths, windows and vehicles the pole became lodged against a brick wall. This did nothing to affect their momentum. The cable that had caught on the vehicle simply snapped, allowing it to drive on.

Wilson tapped a red button on the yellow rectangle attached to the window. The truck vanished.