Chapter 16

Maxwell closed his eyes and rubbed his temples. He was used to dealing with stress – his job demanded it – but this went above and beyond. Sobel had been on the run two hours and there were now two dead bodies. Tension was high - the second murder site had offered just as little as the first.

Both incidents were handled quietly. But it was only a matter of time before someone slipped and the media discovered the real story. Then he would look like a fool.

This created tremendous pressure - mistakes couldn't happen. There were too many people after his job. And none would be as capable or dedicated.

"What have you got for me Benson?" Maxwell bellowed from his office.

"Very little." Benson poked his head in the door. He had just returned to headquarters. "No one's seen the guy. Not a peep since the News announced Sobel's death."

Maxwell laced his hands behind his head, leaned back in his chair and sighed. "Any other options to smoke him out?"

"Nothing beyond what we discussed. The wife and kids are the only solid angle."

"Which is bullshit. We're smarter than that. I'm not compromising a family. We need something more. What about the Uncle?"

"Group has been dispatched to interview him."

"Good." Maxwell spun in his chair and gazed out a window at the sprawling city below. Buildings of all shapes and sizes stretched in every direction toward the horizon. The only bit of green amid the concrete and glass was the Arboretum at the Sands Foundation a mile away. "You don't think he'll head home?

"It's doubtful. From what I understand Sobel's too arrogant and proud to let anyone see him in his current body."

Maxwell threw his hands in the air. "Then I'm at a fucking loss. The guy might as well be a ghost."

"Should we release another statement? Announce how dangerous Nickle is? Someone's bound to see him."

"That's just sloppy - people will panic. I don't want a mess."

"What other choice do we have? Can we afford to stay silent, wait around and hope for a break?"

Maxwell closed his eyes, took a deep breath and pursed his lips in thought. The expression remained for a few moments as options were weighed.

"Christ," he finally muttered. "Be careful what you tell them."