Chapter 36

Maxwell stared at Richard through a huge pane of glass. He was seated at the end of a long white table in an enormous room. Officers lined the walls. Red coveralls had replaced the Holosuit – it was confiscated during the arrest. His face was blank – the expression of a man at peace with his circumstances.

"How did this guy get a Holosuit?" Lapearle asked.

"No idea. Team One is working on it," said Maxwell. "Let's hope they get us an answer."

"What about a serial number?"

"Doesn't have one. That's what makes this whole thing strange."

"How is that possible?"

Maxwell shrugged. "There's a slim chance someone took it from Manufacturing right after it was programmed but before it was tested and tagged. That's why we had a call sign during the sweep but nothing else."

"Does it look the same as the others?"

"Identical."

Lapearle shook his head. "None of this sits right with me."

Maxwell looked away from the window. "How so?"

"It's the bigger picture. There's something more at play. First we have issues with a Locum and identity mix up – one of the strangest cases Security has ever dealt with. The man in question is an asshole but well respected – with no known enemies or unhappy clients. He's blamed for a string of murders that it seems he can't commit using a weapon we can't find. Then he gets caught sneaking back into his house wearing restricted technology. There's too much inconsistency."

"Or has it been dumb luck?"

"Dumb luck? That's an option to consider?"

"No." Maxwell looked back at Richard, who hadn't moved an inch. "It's not. But it sure would be nice."

"Are you going to interview him again?"

"I don't see the point."

"What about the serial killer theory?"

"Nothing so far," said Maxwell. "Besides the burned Hotwires we have no other leads."

"That's a good start."

"Sure – and it's in Boogeyman territory. People are already talking and nervous. Do you want a whim to cause mass hysteria in a City this huge by confirming their fears?"

Lapearle didn't completely agree but knew not to push. "Is Sobel any closer to being considered innocent?"

"He's considered dangerous and will be treated accordingly."

Lapearle pursed his lips and stared out the window.

"Normally I ignore silent disagreement."

"You need to talk to him Chief. This is beginning to seem more like a vendetta than a case. You've disregarded evidence and advice from experts – information that should sway your investigation. I've been told this isn't like you. What's going on?"

"He was found using highly restricted hardware in a residential zone without training or consent. That alone is enough to put him away."

"Of course it is. But what if he did that out of desperation? It's not like he broke into a house and killed someone, he was in his own place to see his wife. Wouldn't you do the same if you were separated from your family and on the run for days? Or did you even consider his emotions?"

"Pardon me?"

"He got the better of you when he escaped the Sands Foundation, has eluded Security at every turn and even broke out of the Trench but not by his own accord. That's why I asked about a vendetta. We look like fools. Because of this you've stopped considering Richard Sobel as a person and only see him as a problem. Chandler said it himself – he's incapable of violent thought, otherwise he'd never be approved as a Locum. Why won't you recognize that?"