Chapter 22

Richard trudged along the white corridor toward the Neubar's exit. He felt hollow and alone. Realization stung. There was no excuse for his arrogance. It made him wonder what his wife truly thought of their marriage, what his kids thought of him as a father or what his parents thought of him as a son.

He walked out the door and didn't notice what was waiting. When he did it was too late. There was no time to run back inside – only raise his hands and await the inevitable.

"Hello Richard," said a voice from among the Officers surrounding him. It was one he recognized.

"Aren't you lucky," Richard replied. He tried to sound sarcastic despite a sense of panic.

"You're wanted in conjunction with the murders of three City residents, do you understand this?"

An Officer reached up, brought Richard's hands down and placed them behind his back. Then a set of plastic cuffs were slipped around both wrists. His heart sank when he noticed Esther Thomas in the crowd.

"Did you give me up?" Richard asked.

She nodded.

"How much did they pay you?"

Esther shook her head.

"No questions Sobel!" Maxwell stepped forward. He cut an imposing figure. "You'll have time to chat during interrogation."

Richard didn't know whether to be relieved or terrified. Either way his running was at an end.