Chapter 20

Richard paced along a narrow laneway and glanced at his watch. The street buzzed at one end – cars and buses zoomed by in a never ending parade of plastic and metal. At the other end was a plain black building with a white front door. Beside it a green button and lens.

The large brown trench coat and cap he wore did little to make him inconspicuous but still seemed to work as a disguise. His face had been broadcast on Vid screens city wide and not a single person who passed him looked twice. He might as well have been invisible.

The sudden ring of a phone in his pocket was startling. Richard pulled it out and put it to his ear.

"Any luck?" Jack's voice boomed through the speaker.

"Are you sure this is untraceable?" Richard whispered.

"Completely. Just some pay as you go junk."

"I'm having second thoughts."

"Why? What have you got to lose? Talk to Esther, she'll help get the story out."

Richard stared at the door. On the other side was neutral territory - a place where opposing groups met to settle their differences with conversation instead of force. Esther Thomas ran the show. She was short and round with grey hair, glasses and little patience. The business had been passed down by her father – Millwood Thomas. He opened the bar after growing up in a crime family. It was his way of atoning for a violent lifestyle he never agreed with.

Over the years the Neubar had become an Urban Legend among the elite – somewhere menacing and dangerous. In their world money fixed problems – usually from a distance and seldom face to face. Since Richard was a long-time member of the elite he was apprehensive to visit.

"Still there?" bellowed Jack.

"Yeah. Sorry. Drifted off."

"Stay calm and get inside."

"Fine." Richard lowered the phone and dropped it in his pocket. Then he reached up and placed his thumb against a green dot beside the door.

"Please state your name," said a voice. It came from a box below the light.

Richard didn't know which name to use.

"You do realize Mr. Nickle that the question is a formality. Your thumb print gave us all the information we need."

"I, um...of course it did," Richard stammered. He felt foolish.

"Nature of your business?" asked the voice.

"I would like to speak with Esther Thomas."

"Hold please."

The pause in conversation gave Richard time to think. He started to worry about what would happen if Esther wasn't interested in his story. There were no other options - bartering was his only currency.

"You're clear to pass, Mr. Nickle. Enjoy the stay. And rest assured your privacy is our utmost priority."

The door slid open.

The interior of the Neubar was nothing like he imagined. Instead of dim lighting, low music, leather chairs and plush carpet, there was a long white hallway dotted with doors and blocked by a thick glass barrier.

To the right was a black monitor. On its screen was an overhead map of the numbered doors. Some had names and green dots beside them. He found Nickle's and pressed his thumb on the dot. The barrier slid open.

Door 7 was unlocked when he arrived. Inside was a round table surrounded by a plush couch. Everything was lit from above by an enormous hanging lamp.