Chapter 46

"Stop right where you are!" Maxwell yelled. Gorman's advice about being quiet hadn't stuck. There was too much at stake. He aimed his gun at Richard and Sands. Their backs were to him. "Put both hands in the air!"

They did as they were told. Richard dropped his bag. It landed on the floor with a thump. The air hummed with activity. High above them the multi-coloured robots continued to zoom in every direction.

"Turn around slowly," said Lapearle. He stood on Maxwell's right, gun also drawn. His face wore an anxious expression.

Both men spun on their heels. Sands beautiful face wore a smile. Richards was filled with worry.

"Don't move an inch," said Maxwell. He pulled handcuffs from his belt and approached Sands. Lapearle did the same and approached Richard. "Especially if you're who we think."

"And who would that be?"

"Popular belief? Peter Sands."

Sands eyes brimmed with mock delight. "Marvelous work Chief!" His tone was smug. "Quite the sleuth. I'm surprised we made it this far before you caught us."

"I'd stop right there," said Maxwell. He grabbed Sands by the shoulders and turned him around.

"Let's hope we don't manage a daring escape! After all, Richard is quite adept at slipping through your fingers."

"I'm not kidding asshole! Don't say another word."

"And what would you do if I kept rambling? Will you shoot me? An unarmed woman?!"

Maxwell smirked. It was mischievous. "If I did, who would know?"

"How about the parents of Officer Meanes, whose body I'm inhabiting? Sure, her life is over but it might be easier to explain a disappearance rather than deal with a gaping hole in her body. Not to mention, the whole thing caught by surveillance cameras and sent across the Internet."

This didn't affect Maxwell's resolve. His hands were steady as he brought Sands arms behind his back and cuffed him. Lapearle had already done this to Richard.

"Excellent job!" Gorman strode into the room and surveyed the situation. Both men were too busy to notice him wink at Sands.

"Thank you, sir," Lapearle said over his shoulder.

"Looks like your timing was perfect." In a single, smooth motion Morris brought Gorman's gun up from the holster and pulled the trigger. A yellow bolt shot from the muzzle and hit Lapearle in the middle of the back. It made a sizzle on impact and left a large black hole. He crumpled to the ground.

"What the hell??!!!" hollered Maxwell. His eyes went wide with shock.

Morris reached back and put his hand on the wall scanner. The doors slid closed. "Full lock."

A metal clank sounded, followed by a hiss.

Maxwell levelled his gun at Morris. "What's going on?"

"Mole. Put us all at risk."

This didn't bend Maxwell's conviction. His gun stayed on target.

"Suit yourself," Morris said with a shrug.

"No way the kid's a mole. He was vetted a hundred percent. Put through every test. We would have found something." Maxwell shook his head. "I don't believe any of this."

"And you shouldn't Chief!" Sands announced beside him. "But are you bright enough to figure out the truth?"

Richard stood still and bit his lip as the situation unfolded. His stomach was turning and he felt faint.