Chapter 33

Morris sat on a hard plastic chair and gazed around the room. He wore a satisfied smile. There wasn't much to see – blank walls, a Vid screen and a door. In front of him was a table, on the other side a more comfortable looking chair.

The door slid open and Lapearle entered. He wore a stern expression. In one hand was a Tablet. He sat down without saying a word.

"Where have you been?"

"On vacation."

"For ten years?"

"Why's that a concern of yours?"

Lapearle leaned in close. "I know you're up to something."

"Playing tough cop?" Morris asked.

"Just trying to make sense of this bullshit. Why was a felon - who walked on a technicality and vanished - consorting with a group of dead criminals and a man wanted for multiple murders?"

Morris snorted.

"Something wrong?" Lapearle asked. He fixed him with a glare.

"No patience for nonsense," said Morris. "My case happened decades ago. The media blew it out of proportion back then and still does."

Lapearle set down the Tablet. "Dr. Morris, you were arrested for illegal organ harvesting - dead to rights. That's as red handed as it gets! Explain to me what was blown out of proportion?"

"Only doing my job."

"Which was against the law!"

"I was found innocent on appeal. Why are we still wasting time on the past?"

"Fine. What's your association with Charlie Nickle?"

"Who?"

Lapearle rolled his eyes. "Please."

"Honestly – no idea who you're speaking about." Morris rubbed his nose and crossed his legs. "Please elaborate."

"Have you been watching the News feed?"

"I'm a busy man," said Morris. "There's no time for television."

"Read a News scroll on a Tablet? Talked to anyone?"

Morris shook his head.

"We believe Frankie Mingle, who was found dead in the same room as you, was harboring Charlie Nickle."

"Got me," said Morris. He pushed out his arms and adjusted the cuffs of his shirt. "Like I said, never met the man."

"Care to explain why you were in the room with those bodies?"

"I was in the washroom and heard a loud buzz. When I arrived all three were on the floor. Your team arrived soon after.

"That's convenient."

"Any idea what caused their deaths?"

"Not at the moment. And from what we can tell there's no surveillance in that room. Autopsies are pending."

"I wish I could help," Morris said. He leaned forward and put his arms on the table. Then he pushed a thumb against the cufflink on his left cuff. Lapearle didn't notice.

There was a faint hum and the ceiling lights exploded with enough force to send both men to the floor. The room went black.

Emergency lights came on and cast a red glow, illuminating smoke and debris floating in the air. Minutes later a chair smashed through the glass door. Maxwell followed, along with two other Security Officers. The sound of sirens filled the room.

"What the fuck....." Lapearle mumbled.

Maxwell grabbed his shoulder and pulled him to his feet. One of the Officers moved to Morris, who was face down, covered in bits of glass and dust. He turned him over and offered a hand. Morris took it and stood.

"Did we get bombed?" asked Lapearle.

"Impossible," said Maxwell.

"Then what the hell happened?"

"Lights blew out and there's no power. Had to smash through two doors to get in here." He pointed at the emergency lamps. "Those only work because of batteries."

"How long were we out?" Morris asked. He dusted off his suit, which was now a light grey instead of black."

"Not long. Few minutes at most."

Benson appeared at the door, out of breath. His eyes darted around the dusty room. "Everyone okay? I ran up six flights of stairs after we heard the explosion and no one could get in touch. You're needed in Control, Chief."

"Is the building compromised?"

"This was the only level affected. Early guess is some sort of contained EMP."

"An Inspection Team needs to get up here right away."

"Already on it."

"Good." Maxwell pointed at Lapearle. "I want you back on Level 2 with the others."

Lapearle nodded at Morris. "What about that guy?"

"Release him."

This surprised both men.

"I don't understand," said Benson

"Any luck with surveillance from the warehouse?" asked Maxwell.

"Nothing," said Benson. "The team swept the place three times."

"Any evidence Dr. Morris killed those men?"

Benson sighed. "Nothing."

Maxwell looked at Lapearle. "Any confession he was harboring Nickle?"

"I didn't get that far."

"What if the lights hadn't exploded?"

Lapearle looked at Morris, who had no expression at all. "It's unlikely."

"Both of you are intelligent. Do I need to spell it out?"

"Maybe," said Lapearle. "Because I'm confused. We had him in the same room as three dead men. No one else was in the building. Shouldn't that keep him in custody?"

"We could, but why waste time when there's more pressing matters? Once his Lawyer gets here he'll walk anyway."

"Wow," said Benson. He looked at Morris, who smirked. "You're an asshole but that's impressive. I had no idea."

Lawyers were rare and expensive. To keep corruption under control licenses to practice law had become difficult to attain. Most trials were carried out with technology. When a Lawyer became involved a human element was introduced - along with all the variables that went with it. To avoid this, leniency was often granted in any case that wasn't a certainty. Most residents respected the system. But there were always a few who disagreed and could afford to challenge it.

"I'll walk you out Dr. Morris," said Maxwell, and ushered him through the broken door.

"Thanks," said Morris. The dim light hid his smirk. Despite the risk of looking suspicious he couldn't help himself. He had what he came for. The Officer who helped him up had unwittingly supplied a full hand print.