"What's going on?" Alex whispered. His eyes were wide with fear. "Why are you here?"

"I need some answers."

"If it helps - you had one of the best Locums in the business. Really too bad what happened to him."

"What are you talking about?!" Richard asked, confused. "Do you even know what's going on?"

"Seriously?" Alex raised an eyebrow. "It's all over the news. Just broadcast this afternoon. Whole thing is a big deal. Guy with a profile like that doesn't get shot every day." He reached out and tapped a button on the dashboard. A video display appeared on the windshield. "Have a look yourself."

An image of Richard's old face floated on the screen in front of him. Underneath was the caption 'City in mourning over death of famous doctor.'

While Richard watched the video Alex dropped a hand down beside his seat, brought up a can of Mace and shot a stream of liquid into his eyes.

Richard's body jerked and he started to howl. Alex kept his finger on the button until the stream became a dribble. Then he tossed the can aside and punched Richard as hard as he could in the side of the head.

"You fucking asshole!" Richard screeched. "Don't you know who you're hitting?"

"I know exactly who you are. And there's no way I'm letting you mug me!"

"Christ Alex, it's me." Richard wretched. His eyes were swollen and puffy. "It's not Charlie Nickle, it's Richard Sobel! How stupid are you? Did you forget this idiot paid for a Max?"

Alex paused. His fist hung in the air. A frown creased his face.

Richard grabbed at the door handle, preparing to fall out of the car if need be. His heart was racing. "It was a three month contract and I've only been at it two months. Do you care that little about patients?"

"No clue what you're talking about."

"Seriously?"

"For all I know this is some sort of shakedown!"

"Wow," Richard sniffled and rubbed the back of a hand beneath his runny nose. "I've never seen this side of you before. You're a real dirtbag."

"Cautious and busy."

"You've made an absolute fortune off me and won't believe what I'm telling you?"

"Richard Sobel is dead."

"Do you always trust the News?"

Alex let out a sigh of frustration. "Fine. Who's Scottie Gains?"

"City Rice Farmer. Quite successful. Came to me complaining about a sore back. I diagnosed him with a kidney cyst. The Foundation grew him a new one and I Locumed for the transplant." Richard smiled despite his red eyes and puffy lips. "But that's not what you want to hear. What you want me to say is how he made a sweetheart deal with Chandler because they're old friends - and how it screwed us both out of some big pay. Something only the two of us would know about."

Alex's eyes went wide. Silence fell. He stared at Richard.

"Holy shit," he whispered. "This is crazy."

"Tell me about it."

"And I can't believe the switch length slipped my mind. That deal was months ago though – details get fuzzy. So much has happened since."

"No - I think you just don't give a shit about details once you get paid."

"This is one hell of a cover up."

"You have no idea the depth of it."

"Fill me in!"

Richard adjusted himself in the seat. His eyes still watered but were mostly forgotten. "No one knows who was meant to be killed in my body – me or Nickle."

"Now that's a mind fuck," Alex whispered.

"Which is why I want help."

"What do you need?"

"Some research. Find out everything you can about Nickle that you didn't get the first time. I want to know who might be motivated to kill him."

"That's a tall order."

"We could try another route."

"Which is?"

"Nothing – let Security find me and do whatever they intend. I imagine you'll take a hit, considering you didn't do enough investigation. That will be clear in your paperwork."

"Pardon me?"

"You can't be that clueless. They might think details were left out because you helped set someone up." Richard opened the door. Before Alex could reply he heaved his body out of the car. Then he jogged across the parking lot, careful to keep his attention on the ground.