Chapter 1

"Does it hurt?"

Alex Perkins flashed a smile at the nervous, overweight man across from him. "I assure you Mr. Nickle, the process is painless. Worst case - you'll feel disoriented after waking up. But that's par for the course."

"Is it safe?"

"Did you read our brochure?" Alex asked.

Nickle nodded. His double chin jiggled. "Front to back."

"Then you're aware the success rate is ninety-nine percent, and that's only because the process won't work with certain people. This is determined with a simple DNA test, which you passed. Otherwise we've never had a single incident."

"What about recuperation?"

"What would you like to know?"

"Where will my body be?"

"In our recovery ward - staffed with round the clock Med Techs in case of emergency. There's nothing to worry about. That's the whole point of HICOP."

"Sorry. I'm just a details person."

Alex forced a smile. Such curiosity was common. "No need to apologize. This can be quite overwhelming. How about a look around the facility?"

Nickle ran a hand through his shaggy hair and blinked in disbelief. "I can do that?"

"Of course!" Alex said. He unfolded his long body from a leather chair and straightened his jet black suit. The only bit of colour was a light blue tie. He cinched this tight before rounding the desk to stand beside Nickle. "Nothing's scheduled in Theatre B, so you can take your time and poke around."

Alex crossed to the office door, opened it and waited.

For first timers, seeing the hallway on the other side stopped them in their tracks. And Nickle was no exception. Stretching away from the huge glass tube in both directions was an incredible Arboretum. The jade grass, magnificent trees and beautiful flowers stood in stark contrast to the cold blend of metal, tile and concrete of City Prime.

This was a privileged sight. Most people went a lifetime without a close glimpse of a tree. Because of overpopulation space was at a premium, which meant vegetation took a back seat to progress. Small parks were a private enterprise - catering to those with deep pockets. And these were nothing compared to what the Sands Foundation had – an expense it could easily afford.

Alex led the way along a suspended metal gangplank. His footsteps echoed around them. "The layout is simple. Top floor is reception, sales offices, this hall and the elevator at the end." Nickle followed close behind. His attention was on the tree limbs that hung overhead. "Below ground are the operating rooms, Eden - which is the recovery residence, and an entertainment facility. Until you sign a contract I can't take you beyond the Medical side, but that's the most important part to see."

Nickle remained silent until they reached the elevator.

"Any questions so far?" Alex asked as they stepped inside and the doors closed behind them.

"Anyone ever cancel?"

"Once the papers are signed?" Alex shook his head. "Everything's too simple and convenient. The pros far outweigh the cons."

"And they are?"

"The cons? Some people don't like the idea of being stuck in Eden for recuperation, which can be lengthy. Others have separation anxiety from their bodies despite knowing they're well looked after. Those are the most common. There's a few more that seldom crop up and aren't worth wasting time on."